Author Topic: SIDNEY RHODES, SCULCOATES, E. YORKSHIRE  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SIDNEY RHODES, SCULCOATES, E. YORKSHIRE
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a bit of an outline on this Sidney Rhodes but would love to find out more about him.

Sidney Rhodes was born 14 March 1912 in Sculcoates.  The registration of his birth was delayed into the June Qtr.  His mother's maiden name was McQuade.  He died in Bridlington, E. Yorkshire in July of 1985.  Although it has been a while since I worked on this family, I remember reading somewhere that Sidney and his wife had two children, although I could be wrong.

- his mother's first name
- father's name
- date of parents' marriage
- date of his marriage to Elizabeth Gardiner (have been told that he married this woman.)
- children? -could be they are living in Bridlington?  Maybe that's why Sidney retired there.
- date of his death

I would be so grateful for any information on this man.

Many thanks,

Carleton
Ottawa, Canada

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SIDNEY RHODES, SCULCOATES, E. YORKSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
A possibility for the parents marriage?

June qtr 1892
Hull district    vol 9d, page 404

Rhodes, John Thomas
+ and on the same page +
McQuade, Kate
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Sidney's marriage:

September qtr 1934
Sculcoates district    vol 9d, page 336

Rhodes, Sidney
Gardiner, Elizabeth H W
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jaytilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think this is Sidney Rhodes marriage to Elizabeth H. W. Gardiner

Sept. Q 1934 - Sculcoates, East Riding Yorkshire.

Also could these children  be this couples five daughters ? If they are it looks as though they were born before their marriage.

Same county as marriage for births - Sculcoates, North Riding.
Mothers maiden name Gardiner

Doris Rhodes      June Q. 1925
Annie I. Rhodes  March Q. 1927
Olive E. Rhodes  June Q. 1928
Lily C. Rhodes    March Q. 1929
Ivy Rhodes         June Q. 1930

Hope this helps,
Jay.

Offline Jaytilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 17:13 GMT (UK) »

Another child ? - a son

Mothers maiden name Gardiner

Anthony D. Rhodes

March Q. 1937  - Sculcoates, East Riding

Vol No. 9d   Page No. 257

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 17:22 GMT (UK) »
carleton

Unless person at link is you, your research may help person posting rule in/out one of the Sidneys they have been researching:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-EAST-YORKS/2012-06/1338765990
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Many thanks for your replies.

KGarrad, I believe that the two marriages (names and dates) you sent are the correct ones.  I appreciate your help.

Jay, I doubt that the births of the five children you included in your reply belong to Sidney and Elizabeth Gardiner.  Sidney would have been only 13 yrs. old in 1925. I believe the same applies for the years 1927, 1928, 1929 and 1930.  Sidney would have been only 18 in 1930 so it's possible that the parents of these children belong to another Sidney Rhodes and yet another 'Gardiner'.

As for the birth of a son, Anthony D. Rhodes, this one is a possibility given the date of his marriage in 1934, but again, we don't know for sure.

I am not related to this Sidney Rhodes.  My interest is WW II related.  He was actually Sgt. Sidney Rhodes, Flight Eng. R.A.F.V.R.  He was one of two survivors of the first R.C.A.F. Pathfinder Squadron formed out of 156 Squadron, Group 8.  There were 7 men aboard this Lancaster III bomber PB477 when it was shot down over Rohrau, Germany the night of 02 January 1945 on a raid to Nuremberg.  Five of the crew died, including my uncle.  Sgt. Rhodes and one of the Canadians, W/O/1 D. G. Plyley were the only two survivors.  Both men were sucked out of the plane which exploded in mid-air and managed to parachute to safety.  Both spent approximately 5 1/2 months in Stalag Luft 1 as POWs until freed by the Russians around May 14, 1945.

I have been working on a report of PB477 for a number of months and have been successful in tracking down information on the crew members not only from a personal aspect but also to learn of previous squadrons these men served with.  Sidney Rhodes has been my only hang-up and difficult to research.  Had it not been for a document that I received from a relative of Plyley, I wouldn't even know at this point where Rhodes was from.  This hand-written document  is a list of all the POWs in Block 304, North Compound, Room 3, and gives Sgt. Rhodes' address as 112 Tanfield Grove, Bilton Grange, Hull, E. Yorkshire.

Between this address and his death in Bridlington in July of 1985, I would dearly love to make contact with a descendant of Sidney's.  There has to be somebody out there somewhere.

I have thought of sending for his records from the Archives in the U.K. which will cost me $95.00 CDN converted from 60£   I have been told that these records consist of only 4 pages....a lot of money for 4 pages.

Carleton

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Sidney's marriage:

September qtr 1934

Rhodes, Sidney
Gardiner, Elizabeth H W

Yorkshirebmd has slightly different entry

Sidney Rhodes married Christiana Gardiner in 1934 in St Peter, Drypool, Hull

Also John T Rhodes and Kate Mcquade married in St Marys, Hull

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Sidney's marriage:

September qtr 1934

Rhodes, Sidney
Gardiner, Elizabeth H W

Yorkshirebmd has slightly different entry

Sidney Rhodes married Christiana Gardiner in 1934 in St Peter, Drypool, Hull

Also John T Rhodes and Kate Mcquade married in St Marys, Hull

According to FreeBMD, and the GRO Indexes (I have checked the original images) Christiana Gardiner married a Frederick W French, while Elisabeth H W Gardiner married Sidney Rhodes.

By 1934 the GRO Indexes included the spouses surname.