Author Topic: Walter Jones in Mydrim's first wife and kid(s)  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Walter Jones in Mydrim's first wife and kid(s)
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone :)

I'm afraid I have to rely on someone's kindness again to help me find a few things... I'm also sorry that this is quite long and I hope no one is offended by the number of things I'm asking for... they all sort of turned up at once...

My 3xgt grandfather Walter Jones (1808 Mydrim-1886) was married twice. His first marriage was to Anne EVAN born c1797 (Llanwinio) on 26/1/1836, Mydrim. He was a widower by 1861.

The only child I have for them is Mary 1836. There is a baptism for her in 1836, Mydrim. She is with her parents on the 1841 and 51 and with widowed Walter on the 61 (then disappearing off the face of the earth...), no other children from that marriage. I do find this curious, although I realise Anne wasn't terribly young in terms of childbearing age when she married.

So my first question is wondering about possible other children... Either there weren't any more children, or there were and they were somewhere else for whatever reason, or they died... I would be grateful if someone could look up child baptisms/burials for me, please... I know there are a few possibilities on FindMyPast's parish entries but I don't have the money to get access to them :( The family lived in Llanfihangel Abercowin and would most likely be registered to Mydrim (Meidrim). Mary, and Walter's children from his second marriage, were all Mydrim, although in the case of the latter three, they were mass baptised when the eldest was nine.

As for Anne... One thought I had about her was that perhaps she was a widow, accounting for her being slightly older than an average first marriage in my family. I don't know if the parish register for the marriage mentions this, I've only been able to see a short form transcription. I'd be grateful if someone could check for me.

The other thing I've recently had put into question was when Anne died... I hitherto had only found one likely death for her (b. 1793 d.1861, Mydrim) but yesterday I found b.1800 d.1852, Mydrim, which I guess is closer to her birth date (but if Walter's maths are anything to go by, dates didn't mean much). I don't know if either of these entries give any indication to which is the right one and it is really bugging me...

If anyone can help with even one small thing, I'd be very happy for it. Thanks. :)

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Jones in Mydrim's first wife and kid(s)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,

I can only find Mary baptised to Walter and Anne Jones at Meidrim. It seems she was Anne's only child with Walter.

Your first burial for Anne Jones - 1861 at Meidrim - Anne Jones of Hendre Land, Llanfihangel, aged 68, seems the right one.

On the marriage record Anne is a spinster, Walter a bachelor, both of Mydrim Parish. Witnesses were David Harry and William Harries.

Regards,

Rhosgoch

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, much appreciated :)

Might I ask what made you rule out the second burial/so sure about the first?

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, should have given the second burial details.
Anne Jones, Nantrhedfa, Abernant, aged 52. Thought Llanfihangel (Abercowin) more likely than Abernant.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again :)