Author Topic: Morpeth, Death/Burial Record & Churchyard Help Needed  (Read 1734 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Morpeth, Death/Burial Record & Churchyard Help Needed
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

A few days ago, with help from a fellow rootschatter an obituary came to light for my 3x gt grandfather George Hill. It appeared in the Shields Daily Gazette of Friday July 3rd 1903 & the first half runs thus:

DEATH OF AN OLD BLYTH CAPTAIN

The death of Captain George Hill, of Blyth, at the advanced age of 80, is announced at Morpeth. His remains were interred in Morpeth Churchyard.

The rest of the obituary goes on to mention the mourners/family members at the funeral.

All fairly straightforward you might think! Alas no!!

The only death record in 1903 for a George Hill in Northumberland is the following:

George Hill, 79, June Qtr 1903, Morpeth, 10b 225

Unfortunately this not him, i have this cert and it is a different George Hill! At this point i should mention that at this time there two George Hill's about both born about the same time in Scotland, both had son's named George at roughly around the same time & now they seem to havew died within a few days of each other as well (the other George Hill died 25th June 1903 also in Morpeth!)

Would it be possible for sks to look at any local death indices to see if there is a 2nd George Hill death registered at about the same time? Also could sks locate a burial record for me?

Lastly could sks if at all possible look in Morpeth Churchyard for his grave & if possible see what if any information is on it & perhaps photograph it as well? I would be extremely grateful for this if someone could.

I have been trying to find this ancestor's death for at least 15 years & this is the closest i have come to finally getting it!!

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth, Death/Burial Record & Churchyard Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
You can search the GRO Death Indexes at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan,

Many thanks for your reply!

Have already searched on freebmd, that's where i got the ref in my 1st post for the other George Hill from, but as pointed out is the wrong George.

What i meant & perhaps didn't make clear, was the local registrar's records/indices if there is such a thing?

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
The local Registrar had to send in, by law, Quarterly returns of all births, deaths and marriages to the GRO from which the GRO Indexes were made, so there will not be any additional information locally

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan,

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

Kind regards

David

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 21:12 GMT (UK) »

David,

You say a George Hill death notice appeared in Shields Gazette of 3rd July 1903, he aged 80 yrs.

FreeBMD, as already noted, shows the registration of death of a 79 yr old George Hill within the Morpeth Registration District in June Quarter of 1903 ( June Qtr was from 1st April to 30 June 1903)

The Evening Chronicle edition of 26th June 1903 holds the Death Notice of an 80 yr old George Hill at Morpeth.

You say you have "this" certificate and it is a " different" George Hill. ?
Different in what way. Where was place of death ?

On the 1901 Census, there is a 78 yr old Scotland (Yetholm)-born ex-Sea Captain living in a Whitley convalescent home ( page ref 4805-81-3)

I cannot see another simllar aged Scotland-born George Hill in Northumberland on
1901 census.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your reply!

Death cert states place of death as: County Asylum, Newminster R D.

This George Hill was a shopkeeper/Grocer. Shopkeeper on death cert & i seem to remember finding him on a census as a Grocer, although i can't remember which one!

The 1901 ex sea captain in Whitley is my ancestor.

Kind regards

David

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »

This George Hill was a shopkeeper/Grocer. Shopkeeper on death cert & i seem to remember finding him on a census as a Grocer, although i can't remember which one!

I think this is the one you found

1901 Census

George Hill 49 Grocer born Somerset living at Whitley
Annie Hill 43
Andrew Hill 19
Annie M D 13
Carrie L D 5

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4805; Folio: 109; Page: 22.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davidft,

Many thanks for your post!

I'm certain that it was an earlier census, i just don't seem to be able to find any note that i may have made of it!

I know that my George was in Westoe in 1881, the 1891 i have no idea where he was as i haven't been able to find him. Earlier than 1881 he was at sea probably if not certainly for the 1851, 61 & 71.

Kind regards

David