Author Topic: Forres Address  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Forres Address
« on: Wednesday 16 January 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi cousins up there in bonny Moray

I have a query for an address in Forres ... can anyone tell me the lower address on the attachment?  It looks like 'Sea Park'

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Forres Address
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if the image has appeared ... trying as .jpg

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The Seapark that springs to mind is actually in the parish of Kinloss
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2337932

This is the only Sea Park or Seapark in the 1881 census in Moray, the only one listed in LIBINDX and the only one in the current post code directory for Forres.

In which parish/district was the marriage actually registered? Because if it was registered in Forres or in Kinloss, it's odd that the address was given as 'Sea Park, Forres'; if it was registered in Kinloss, I'd expect it just to say 'Sea Park', and if in Forres, I'd expect 'Sea Park, Kinloss'.

When was this and who was the bride?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is of help but here is a property Sea Park House http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/The-Historic-Building-Sea-Park-House-In-Forres-For-Sale.aspx
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
That is Sea Park House in Kinloss. Despite what the estate agent alleges, it is not in the town of Forres; it it is two or three miles from Forres, from which it is separated by farmland.

This estate agent is more honest about where it is.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-33180223.html
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 17:58 GMT (UK) »
That is Sea Park House in Kinloss. Despite what the estate agent alleges, it is not in the town of Forres; it it is two or three miles from Forres, from which it is separated by farmland.

This estate agent is more honest about where it is.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-33180223.html

Yeah it's the same place, there is only one Sea Park, some info on the Libindex
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/subjects/subject_place_report_view.asp?REF_ID=PN006153

also Canmore and British listed buildings have information on it too

There is a lovely description of the  Lands of Sea Park and how the house went from originally being built in cottage style  to mansion in J & W Watson's  Morayshire Described, it was written in 1868 and a facsimile edition published in 1983, by Moray District libraries and printed by Nevis Print in Fort William, I don't know how easy it will to get a hold of now.

ORKNEY
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Morayshire Described, it was written in 1868 and a facsimile edition published in 1983, by Moray District libraries and printed by Nevis Print in Fort William, I don't know how easy it will to get a hold of now.

4 available at www.abebooks.com

BTW it's LIBINDX not Libindex. No 'e'. Just in case you ever need to google it.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow  :o 3 first editions Would love mine to be a first edition, one also on eBay  facsimile edition though

Ops!! (LIBINDX not Libindex.) not something I need to Google as I use it so often, but god to be corrected as someone might not know the site and be looking under libindex  ::)
ORKNEY

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again ... seems I've stirred up a wee bit o' an interest here!

The register is of a November 1902 Marriage in the District of Elgin in the County of Elgin.  The bride, whose address it is, was the daughter of a 'Landed Proprietor'

Sea Park it is then.  Many thanks  :)

Chiad Fhear