Author Topic: Alfred Settle  (Read 5554 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Settle
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 February 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi SingingSusie,

Thanks again to everyone for their replies.

Luke Settle was my 4x gt grandfather.  I had wondered if the Settle family had known Mrs Sunderland, and only recently found out about Luke's early influece upon her.  I have gleaned information from Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion.  I have not been able to find out who Luke's father was.  I'd certainly be grateful if someone could enlighten me!

C

Offline singingsusie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 February 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Whilst Luke Settle was an early influence on Miss Sykes as she was.  He was one of four gentlemen who helped her musically.  Interestingly only Luke was selected by The Mrs Sunderland Musical Competition (now Music Festival) to have a trophy in his name.  It was a huge shield that took two people to carry it, and about six years ago it was pensioned off and replaced by a smaller Luke Settle shield.  The original is on permanent display at a local Junior School.  In recent years the trophy was awarded to the winner of the schools choirs classes, and it had been impossible for the pupils to carry the original off the stage in Huddersfield Town Hall.  I have several references to his musical talents, but note you have read our entries on Malcolm Bulls Calderdale Companion.  Any information about him and/or his family would be welcomed.  I see he married Martha Freeman.  I will have a look if I have anything about his parents.
Esam, Rawnsley, Sunderland, Settle, Goldthorp, Sykes, Wheatley. (Lightcliffe)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Well that is certainly something.  I had no idea about the Luke Settle trophy.  Was it kept at St Andrew's Jr School?  I only ask because I attended that school myself.

I have traced the Freeman family - I would be happy to share my info on the Freemans if you are interested in this.

C

Offline singingsusie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 February 13 18:11 GMT (UK) »
The original Luke Settle Trophy is on display at Lindley Junior School, who about five years ago were the winners of the BBC School Choir of The Year.  The 125th anniversary Mrs Sunderland Music Festival will be held in 2014.  Do you by chance have any photographs of Luke or his family?  Just in case you are interested the archive for The Mrs Sunderland Music Festival is held at The West Yorkshire Archive Service (Kirklees).

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 February 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I would be interested in seeing the Mrs Sunderland archive.  I work at a Local Studies Library in my local area, and know staff at Kirklees Archives.  I will have to ask!

I don't have any photos of the Settle family, unfortunately. 

Did you know that Luke is buried at St Matthew's Church, Lightcliffe? Other members of the Settle family are buried there also.  I intend to go have a look for Settle graves in the near future.

C

Offline singingsusie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 February 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
The Mrs Sunderland catalogue is available online, and the archive material is kept on site.  Your interest in the trophy will spur me on to find out more about the history of the trophy, and possibly obtain a photograph for Malcolm Bull, who has been very helpful and encouraging.  There are very few photographs of Mrs Sunderland, but fortunately I have a rare one of her in her latter years.  I will make sure that I go and find the grave of the Settle family.  Do you have much information about the Joseph Wilkinson who married your Ann Settle?
SS

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 February 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I have not traced Joseph Wilkinson's parentage, but I think that I looked at Ann and Joseph's children.  I have a family tree on the Ancestry website, which I will have to look at in order to refresh my memory.  You are welcome to have a look if this might prove useful in any way.

C

Offline becksxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have also been researching the Settle family from Lightcliffe.. I have researched Luke and believe that Alfred was his grandson Born in 1831 to Ann Settle father unknown Joseph Wilkinson was indeed his Step Father who married Ann 19th November 1835. I have details of Lukes Parents and siblings of which I am researching at the moment.

The graves are quite hard to find at St Matthew's as the ground is in need of some restoration however if you would like any help finding them please feel free to contact me.

Thanks Becky - (Nee Settle)

Offline singingsusie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Becky,
My particular interest is in Luke Settle the Whitesmith/Musician.  He was very influential in the early development of Susannah Sykes who became Mrs Sunderland the high profile vocalist.  The Festival in her name still has a Luke Settle trophy which is awarded annually - currently to schools choirs.  Do you by chance have any family information over and above BMD and Census information about him and his family.  Many thanks for responding to the request for additional information.
SS