Author Topic: TRAYNORs in Manchester and Pendleton  (Read 5851 times)

Offline EdwinReffell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TRAYNORs in Manchester and Pendleton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 January 13 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your answer. Does that mean that I have misread what is in the image of the US marriage details for John H TRAYNOR? If Bernard and not Bernard Richard is the name of John H's father then he is very interesting again.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 January 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes - it is difficult when you first look at it because of the lines and columns.

It reads:                                            Father              Mother

John H Traynor                                  Bernard            Mary Hoey

Elizabeth (Hope) McCaslin                    Richard             Martha Entwistle

(When I preview this, it doesn't quite line up but I hope you can see what I mean  :))
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdwinReffell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 January 13 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Because of that I assume that Mary's maiden name is something like HOEY or HOYLE though I have not been able to find their marriage using those search names.

Offline EdwinReffell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 January 13 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Neil is pretty sure now that the John H TRAYNOR who married in USA in 1907 is the son of his Bernard and Mary and is most grateful to everyone at RootChat for all the help you have so kindly given. As well as that marriage details giving HOEY as maiden name of Mary the birth certificate Neil has for Edward gives HOYLE. I have searched both in Irish birth records for 1816 but not found Mary nor is there any marriage for Mary under either of those surnames. Neil will by and by get the other birth certificates of Bernard and Mary's children to see if they give any other suggestion for maiden name or corroborate one of the 2 we already have.

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 January 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes - it is difficult when you first look at it because of the lines and columns.

Elizabeth (Hope) McCaslin                    Richard             Martha Entwistle

(When I preview this, it doesn't quite line up but I hope you can see what I mean  :))

Can i just butt in :) Is there any connection here with Elizabeth (Hope) McCaslin and John H Traynor.  Very interested if there is ?

Jo
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 January 13 19:15 GMT (UK) »

Can i just butt in :) Is there any connection here with Elizabeth (Hope) McCaslin and John H Traynor.  Very interested if there is ?

Jo

Hello Jo,

that's the marriage and it looks as though it is the same John H Traynor. Is Elizabeth Hope McCaslin in your family?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdwinReffell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 January 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
According to Neil, who has a John Henry TRAYNOR as an ancestor, this US document is probably the marriage of his John Henry who is with his family in the following corrected census for Pendleton, Salford, Lancashire:
1861 census (corrected)
Bernard Traynor.......Head...40..1811...Where born: Ireland...Tailor
Mary Traynor..........Wife...40..1816...Where born: Ireland
Rosanna Traynor.....Dau....22..abt 1837...Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England
Edward Traynor........Son....20..abt 1841...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England...Merchant Clerk
Mary Traynor..........Dau....18..abt 1843...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England        (5yrs different to 1851)
Bernard Traynor.......Son....14..abt 1846...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England...Warehouse Boy
John Henry Traynor....Son....12..abt 1849...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England
Thomas Walter Traynor........Son....10..abt 1851...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England
Ellen Jane Traynor.........Dau.....8..abt 1853...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England.

We know Bernard and Mary come from Ireland but since they were probably Catholic we have not found them there. They probably came to England about 1835. For Mary's maiden name we have HOYLE (from Edward's birth certificate) or HOEY (the US marriage document). Rosanna was probably christened either in St Mary Mulberry St (this is
on CD see our online book shop www.mlfhs.org.uk) or St Chad which is being
digitized now and therefore not searchable. The others were probably christened in St Sebastian's in Pendleton whose records can be located by contacting Canon Liam Houlihan and if you ring the presbytery he should be able to give you the information you seek. If they are not kept there then he will know where they have been lodged.  The telephone is 0161 736 1774 in England. or snail post to Gerald Road, Charlestown, Pendleton, M6 6DL If I had been able to email them I would have done so. We have not pursued that so far. Genuki would also like to know where the parish records for St Sebastian are kept. If you would like to contact Neil email me and I shall ask him if I may give you his email address.

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 January 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jo,

that's the marriage and it looks as though it is the same John H Traynor. Is Elizabeth Hope McCaslin in your family?

heywood

interested in Elizabeth ( Hope ) McCaslin, who was married to Joseph McCaslin who was the brother of my 2 x great grandfather. I thought she had died as he married Emma Hardacre in 1876.
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 January 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
According to Neil, who has a John Henry TRAYNOR as an ancestor, this US document is probably the marriage of his John Henry who is with his family in the following corrected census for Pendleton, Salford, Lancashire:
1861 census (corrected)
Bernard Traynor.......Head...40..1811...Where born: Ireland...Tailor
Mary Traynor..........Wife...40..1816...Where born: Ireland
Rosanna Traynor.....Dau....22..abt 1837...Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England
Edward Traynor........Son....20..abt 1841...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England...Merchant Clerk
Mary Traynor..........Dau....18..abt 1843...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England        (5yrs different to 1851)
Bernard Traynor.......Son....14..abt 1846...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England...Warehouse Boy
John Henry Traynor....Son....12..abt 1849...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England
Thomas Walter Traynor........Son....10..abt 1851...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England
Ellen Jane Traynor.........Dau.....8..abt 1853...Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England.

We know Bernard and Mary come from Ireland but since they were probably Catholic we have not found them there. They probably came to England about 1835. For Mary's maiden name we have HOYLE (from Edward's birth certificate) or HOEY (the US marriage document). Rosanna was probably christened either in St Mary Mulberry St (this is
on CD see our online book shop www.mlfhs.org.uk) or St Chad which is being
digitized now and therefore not searchable. The others were probably christened in St Sebastian's in Pendleton whose records can be located by contacting Canon Liam Houlihan and if you ring the presbytery he should be able to give you the information you seek. If they are not kept there then he will know where they have been lodged.  The telephone is 0161 736 1774 in England. or snail post to Gerald Road, Charlestown, Pendleton, M6 6DL If I had been able to email them I would have done so. We have not pursued that so far. Genuki would also like to know where the parish records for St Sebastian are kept. If you would like to contact Neil email me and I shall ask him if I may give you his email address.

Have found different contact & e mail address so sent an e mail, copy has been posted to you via PM

Need to see what the response is!