Author Topic: Amy and John E Kydd  (Read 2319 times)

Offline poppyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amy and John E Kydd
« on: Thursday 17 January 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had lost John E Kydd when he came out of the Navy in 1919, but have recently come across a marriage of John E Kydd and Amy A Redbond in Elham in 1925. Amy Kydd died in 1964, registered in Folkestone, and John in 1968, registered in Dover. Does anyone know if there is a record of their burials, or where I might find same? I am hoping to find that John's middle name is Emslie. Thanks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amy and John E Kydd
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
The death reg certainly seems to fit with this baptism.
John E Kydd
Age at death 81, estimated birth date - 1887
death registered Mar 1/4 1968
Registration district - Dover, Kent
Vol 5f page 575

John Emslie Kydd
Baptism - 14 Jan 1887
at Lyme Regis
Father - Robert Emslie Kydd
Mother -Annie Elizabeth Kydd

However I can't pin down a birth reg on FreeBMD for him.  Is this because he and his sisters were born in Australia according to the 1891 census?   
Umm, the John Enola/Emile/Emslie Kydd on the 1891 census is age 12 so born 1879. His mother is Annie E Moore (married) but the enumerator seems to have given her her maiden surname) If the baptism I found is your John Emslie then the death age is a fair bit out.

Added:-  John's sister as down as born Australia in 1891 but in 1901 London
Births Mar 1/4 1887 
Annie Buchanan Kydd     Islington    vol 1b page 302

None of this answers your original question but I found it interesting. :)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
If you email Dover district council they can carry out a search of their burial records and tell you where John was buried. If you get the details let me know I often go through to Dover and can take photo for you if a headstone is available.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Quite possible for Amy ...........

Amy A REDBOND m John E KYDD 1925 Elham district
Amy A DOWDEN m Albert REDBOND Brentford district December quarter 1922 ref. 3a 442
Amy Amelia BUTLER m Francis John DOWDEN Fulham district Dec quarter 1902 ref. 1a 661

The 1925 Elham district marriage is listed on the Kent Registration Services site where entering surname of father for Amy confirms it was BUTLER.  The ref. for the marriage SERO signifies marriages in the local registry office (Folkestone) or those attended by the registrat ie. non-conformist http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/sp/rois/marriagesearch.cfm

I would also suggest contacting the Cemeteries Office at  Shepway district council for burials/cremations for both of them.  At those dates it would most likely be a burial or cremation at Hawkinge if they were Folkestone residents http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/2077/30/

However, I also have noted that the age of the John E KYDD who died in Dover gives an estimated birthdate of c1887 whereas yours (according to his naval record) was born 25 Dec 1878 Melbourne, Australia :-\

Do let us know how you get on.

Was "your" John Emslie KYDD married would you know?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poppyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your responses. It does seem most likely that the John born in Dover is Amy's husband.

Crisane, this is indeed a very interesting family tree. Margaret and John Kydd were born in Melbourne, Annie in Islington and Kindness in Cardiff. The sisters all kept in touch and I knew two of them, but John is proving to be as elusive as his father! Their mother claimed to be widowed, but I have reason to believe Margaret and John's father was leading a colourful life in Australia! ::)

Offline Alsbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that the death registration age issue may come from the person registering his death only having his Baptism record (1887 at Lyme after the return from Australia) and not having a birth certificate  for 1878 from Australia.

Offline poppyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 15:00 GMT (UK) »
This is John Edward Kidd, who died 10 March 1968. Thanks to the kind lady at Shepway Council for tracking this down.
So still searching for John Emslie Kydd 😕

Offline Alsbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this helpful information. John's father's third wife was, I believe, my third cousin three times removed, Elizabeth Swain. Quite a complicated family to unravel and all help welcome!!
Colin

Offline Alsbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Just to note that the John E Kydd married to Amy is shown on the 1939 Register as having been born on 20 Aug 1884 which doesn't fit with John Emslie Kydd...