Author Topic: Where is Newtown, Sussex?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Newtown, Sussex?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 January 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
How about a mistranscription of Nep Town in Henfield?  (Is it one or two words?)   It's no great distance between there and Broadwater Worthing, where a Frank appears in 1841
Side note:  Frank is female on the IGI 1837 baptism and male on the 1841 census..
Roy G

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:21 GMT (UK) »
If there is uncertainty over his father's name, and you have no knowledge of the names of siblings, How about looking at NEPTOWN near Henfield rather than Newtown?
Regards Roy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
This is the extract from the 1871 census. There is no way you could misread this as anything other than Sussex, Newhaven.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline markey164

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 December 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
This is the extract from the 1871 census. There is no way you could misread this as anything other than Sussex, Newhaven.

Indeed i've seen that record, and spent many long hours trying to verify it and drawn a complete blank. Which is what led me to wonder if he was only ever told he was born in Newhaven as a child, and as an adult simply assumed it was the one in Sussex rather than the one in Edinburgh. Easy assumption to make.

Back then people often didn't know where they were born, especially if their parents died when they were young. As it happens his 2 sons both thought they were born in Cornsay (as that was where they were living when their mother died) when in fact they were born 20 miles away in Sunderland. Hence why i'm looking at other options, as part of my detective work :-)

Offline markey164

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 December 21 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the seamans tickets for Francis Edwards born Newtown, Montgomeryshire in 1833/4?

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FMSEA%2FBTOTH%2F4620426%2F00580&parentid=TNA%2FBT113%2F2133053055%2F1

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FMSEA%2FBTOTH%2F4620595%2F00479&parentid=TNA%2FBT113%2F2133080292%2F1

Thanks Shaun, i had seen a similar record for this person in an index, but hadn't seen the full tickets before so this is really helpful!

The 2 entries have different Seamans ticket number's, but both appear to be for the same person. The 2nd entry is then shown as cancelled and lists a 3rd number (which is the same ticket number I had found before).

This was a really useful lead as from the records you found, I was able to find this person in the 1861 Census for Wales. The Father is listed as Evan, so given both the Father and Location aren't a match for my Francis Edwards, I can probably rule this out as being my gg grandfather.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 December 21 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I can probably rule this out as being my gg grandfather.

I agree
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk