Author Topic: factory in blyth northumberland  (Read 2463 times)

Offline ianbates1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
factory in blyth northumberland
« on: Friday 18 January 13 10:30 GMT (UK) »
does anybody know the name of the factory which made steering locks in blyth northumberland.  I think it was a subsidiary of a company called magnatech (or something like that).  I currently work down south with a man with dementia who used to work there.  If I could some info or even better a photo it would really help in his reminiscence work.  Oh I cant be sure but I think Cissie Charlton used to work there as well.

Thanks For Help

Offline senteacher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: factory in blyth northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The factory was called Valeo. Sorry, I can't tell you exactly where it was.

"Valeo is planning to close its automotive door locks factory in Blyth, with the loss of 250 jobs, and work will be transferred to plants in Halifax and Wales. [19-Sep-2000]"
Newspaper reports from the time state that the staff at the factory were some of the highest quality workers in the country. At the time they were told that work would be transferred to Czechoslovakia as the staff were cheaper to employ.
Stewart, Gray, Bews (Orkney/Tyneside), Byrne (Ireland; England; USA; Canada),Colvin (Tyneside), Dingwall (Moray/Tyneside), Harforth (Yorks/Tyneside), Frater (Ntblnd/Durham), McGee (Nc/le-Tyne), Ormston(Ntblnd/Durham), Potts (Nc/le-Tyne), Pye (Ntblnd /Norfolk), Robson (Ntblnd/Durham), Sanderson (Ntblnd/Durham), Screech(Devon/Yorks) Stott (Ntblnd/Durham), Summers (Ntblnd), Tinline (Scotland, England, Australia, New Zealand and S. Africa), Tate (Ntblnd), Urwin (Ntblnd/Durham

Offline eddie21455

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Valeo was in the Industrial Estate just off Cowpen Road
Appleby,  Clifton, Peake, Waldie,  Wilson,

Northumberland, Co Durham, Newcastle upon tyne

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 13 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Ian, we spoke about this a while ago, and I'm glad someone has come up with the factory name .

If it is/was Valeo you are after, you can see it on Google  street view , it was Spencer Rd, and it's postcode was NE24 5TG

Alisdair
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 13 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I used to go into the offices there quite regularly to repair the photo copier when it was Magnatech

A friend of mine used to work there, his name was Jimmy Bower and he was a big fat guy, he died about 20 years ago.

The building is now Howdens Joinery I believe.

Malcolm

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 June 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
I think the factory the OP is looking for predates Valeo. It was called Magnatex and it stood pretty close to where Valeo was. I remember Magnatex being on 24-hour production.

Offline Chris.h

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 23 13:40 GMT (UK) »
The factory was Valeo but as already mentioned it was originally  Magnatex. They manufactured wiper motors and were taken over by Neiman Security Products which is where I served my time in the toolroom from 1986- 1990 and continued to work there until 1992. I briefly returned in early 2000s doing agency work.
When I first started, Bob Gregory was Managing director and Rick Yeomans was General manager. Other names that I recall from that time were ColinBates who was my foreman, his dad Jimmy was a manager in die cast. Hylton and Howard were operators in die cast.
I worked alongside Martin Gregory who was Bob's son, Brian Coxon and Alan ?
Dave Elliott was production manager.
The factory premises still remain on Spencer Road  but are broken back up into separate units being occupied by builders merchants and a kids soft play area.
Hope some of this helps
Regards Chris.

Offline Chnutt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I remember this place well. I worked in the Midlands based design offices from 1987 to 1997 . The MD of Neiman Security Products was Derek Griffin and the company was purchased by Valeo around 1988 / 1989. The locks design manager was a lovely guy called Lawrence Turner. I visited the Blyth factory a few times, however I was working with the electronic security products made in France rather than the steering column and door locks that were made in Blyth.