Author Topic: Boughton Malherber/Lenham Kent  (Read 706 times)

Offline tess2109

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boughton Malherber/Lenham Kent
« on: Saturday 19 January 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could you help, I have been given some information relating to a John Sedgwick 1710-1758 and a Mary Page 1710 both suppose to be born in Boughton Malherbe or Lenham,  they seem to be the parents of a Richard & John Sedgwick (Richard b 1740 & John b 1730) but I have searched everywhere for any information and have asked the person to but they are unwilling to let me know where they obtained the info from.

Thanks
Dawn

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boughton Malherber/Lenham Kent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 13 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I have Kent Family History Society parish register transcriptions for both Boughton Malherbe and Lenham.

These seem to be the marriages of the 2 sons you mention, at BM;

1754 Feb 22 John SEDGEWICKE of Lenham married Mary ELSE otp
1759 Aug 20 Richard SEDGWICK of Lenham bachelor married Jane ELSE otp spinster by Banns

As to the parents it is quite difficult to search the registers because there are lots of name variants - SEDGWICK, SEDGWICKE, SEDWICK, SEDGWICKS, SEDWIX etc.

I can't see a suitable marriage at BH or L for the couple. I only have transcriptions for marriages at BH so cannot check for baptisms. I can't find any SEDGWICK or PAGE baptisms at Lenham around 1710, but there appears to be a gap in the registers between 1709 and 1711! Again another gap between 1728 and 1735! I can't see a baptism for a Richard SEDGWICK around 1740.
There are these burials at Lenham;
1747 07/02 Jane SEDWICKS Wife of John
1755 07/21 Edward SEDWIX Son of John and Anne
1757 03/06 John SEDGWICKS

Hope these might help.