Author Topic: Gleeson's of Nenagh or Dolla?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Adkel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gleeson's of Nenagh or Dolla?
« on: Saturday 19 January 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info, from North Tipperary, about the dispersal of members of the  Gleeson families, who after the Silvermines Incident in 1641, traveled to Dungarvan in Waterford, with the intention of boarding a vessel to escape to Portugal and on failing to make the vessel, moved up the Colligan River and settled there.

Offline gleesonsilvermines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gleeson's of Nenagh or Dolla?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello. Very interested to read that about some Gleesons. I was aware that some were killed or committed sucide after 1641 Silvermines' rebellion, but had not heard that some families left the parish. Would welcome any further information. Damian Gleeson, Sydney, Australia

Offline Adkel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
A number of families of Gleesons moved to Dungarvan sometime after the Silvermines incident with the intention of boarding a ship for Portugal and then on to the USA. It seems the boat had sailed and the dispersed up the Colligan River and probably down the coast to establish three or four separate families. I am descended from one of those families. Its more than 30 years since I researched the family and would need to refresh again. There is a set of Stained Glass windows in a local church, dedicated to the 'Gleeson's of Colligan', donated by the Gleesons of Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA, in memory of the family in Ireland which are unique in that the faces on the images of the saints are actually the faces of the family. I believe this is the only set in Irelang. The windows were don by J. Morgan & Sons, New York.  These were installed in the 1880's.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
I was interested to read about the 1641 Silvermines rebellion. I have a Pennella Gleeson (or Penelope ?) marrying a Bryan Coughlin presumably late 1850s and producing the following: Mary b. ??, Bridget b. about 1861, Tipperary; Catherine b. about 1863, Nenagh; John born about 1865, ??; Margaret b. 11 Jan 1866, Silvermines; Johanna b. 11 Mar 1868, Silvermines. Some of that information came from the IGI. The parents Bryan and Penella, and children Bridget, John, Margaret and Johanna settled in the USA (Buffalo). Two of the children (Bridget and John) went to the USA first (1882) and then brought out their parents and Margaret and Johanna (1887). I have been told, but unconfirmed, that Mary married an Arthur Hodges and went to New Zealand together with her younger sister Catherine (unmarried). I have not as yet found the passenger list with the latter Coughlins to New Zealand but Catherine Coughlin married in New Zealand in 1881.

Would any of you Gleeson family members have information concerning Mary and Catherine Coughlin in Ireland, and their passage to New Zealand, that you would be able to share, please.
Kind regards
francoso