Author Topic: Strugging in Ballyhay/hea, Cork with GREEN  (Read 851 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strugging in Ballyhay/hea, Cork with GREEN
« on: Sunday 20 January 13 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Eliza GREEN always lists her dob abt 1830 in Ireland (followed through Scottish censuses).  Her death certificate in 1882 lists her parents as John Green and Margaret Wallace. 
Eliza also appears to have siblings: Margaret(abt 1831), Agnes (abt 1834), John (abt 1836), Robert (abt1838) as found in 1841 scottish census (all born out of county or perhaps country... who knows, can't find their baptisms anywhere) and who then disappear off any census I can find.

I have found a baptism record for an Eliza Green on "Family search.org" at Ballyhay, Cork 16 Aug 1829 which just lists parent as "Green".
I have also found a marriage record for a John Green and Margaret Wallace on "Family search.org" at Ballyhay, Cork on 17 Oct 1828.
But when I search rootsireland.ie I find nothing at all for either of these two events (and have realised that I have churned through the $$$ looking).

What am I doing wrong?
Where else could I check/confirm the family search.org information (in the hope that more information is on the baptism and marriage record in Ballyhay).

I am stumped and frustrated and completely lost researching in Ireland
cocksie

Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Strugging in Ballyhay/hea, Cork with GREEN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
The Ballyhea parish records on FamilySearch seem to be Church of Ireland, and as far as I can see historic records for the parish have not been deposited with the RCB (Representative Church Body) Library like most other CofI records. Presume the originals are still in local custody.

The microfilm used for the FamilySearch transcripts is Ref. 962669. This could probably be ordered through your nearest Research centre so you you check for yourself.

As to the details included - a CofI baptism would generally include date of baptism, child's name, father's full-name and mother's Christian name, although sometimes on early records not all these are included. Other details such as place of residence, father's occupation and date of birth are sometimes included.

A marriage will likely show date, names of the bride and groom, and possibly place(s) of residence.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 13 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for explaining about the lack of deposition - I can stop my frustrated searches!
Now to find my local Lds research centre.
Would it be worth me contacting the church directly?
Or maybe I can find the local FHS
One door closes another opens maybe
Thanks for your time, information and clarification
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 13 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought that IFHF/RootsIreland would have done their transcripts from the original registers from the church iteself. It's possible that some parts of the register are damaged or are difficult to read and they were unable to read these. Some registers are in such poor state of preservation that access is no longer permitted until such time as they can be properly preserved or professionally digitized.

In any case I'd say the LDS films are the best bet - I'd imagine these were created a number of years ago and at least some details can be deciphered.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests