Author Topic: Royal Ulster Rifles, John McKeown, Corporal WW2  (Read 3689 times)

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Ulster Rifles, John McKeown, Corporal WW2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi BB

What a fantastic site! So informative and interesting.

I am actually finding this information out for my friend Ronnie who belongs to the same family history society as I do.  He was at a dead end and I offered to help.  He does not do forums etc.  He has his family I think 2 generations back, but I am not sure what exactly he has.

He was so chuffed with the information you have already supplied and he will be over the moon when he sees this site,  which I have just emailed him.

Many, many thanks.  If I can help you in anyway with your research, I will try.  I live in Ballymena, Northern Ireland and visit PRONI most weeks.

Thanks again   :) :) :) :)

Kind regards

Maggie   
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 January 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 January 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
maggie have you tried this site,  Trace a Prisoner of War    B/B

MODERATOR ADDITION: Alternative link http://www.sog.org.uk/events/pdf/2011-Show-Handouts/famhist-pow.pdf

Thank you, this is actually very useful, will pass this on to our members.

Maggie
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 January 13 09:51 GMT (UK) »
maggie have you tried this site,  Trace a Prisoner of War    B/B

MODERATOR ADDITION: Alternative link http://www.sog.org.uk/events/pdf/2011-Show-Handouts/famhist-pow.pdf
that is a great site Milly  and should benefit a lot of members whose loved ones were POWs good stuff. thanksB/B
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 February 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Briant

Thank you so much, you are very kind.  I really appreciate that.  I will check the National Archives site.

Kind regards

Maggie

The File for a POW Liberation Report IF he made one would be WO 344/203/2. These tell much more than Red Cross Records as they are written by the man himself.

Although I have several thousands of these Reports on my Hard drive unfortunately none from the letter M.

Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline tasha16661

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 September 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if this is the same McKeown family I'm trying to trace?

My great grandad was John McKeown from County Cavan, he married Catherine Drumm in 1926 in the church of Miltown, Killashandra, Cavan. I believe he was quite a lot older than Catherine who was approx 20 at the time of the wedding.

I believe he had 2 brothers and a sister, 1 brother and sister went to the USA and the other brother fought in a war (not sure if it was the 1st or 2nd). The brother that fought in the war went on to have around 12 children and I believe he lived in County Tyrone around 1940.

Their father was called John McKeown.

Could this be the same John that you are referring to? But what's the chances of having a father with 2 son's called John!

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 September 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
The File mentioned in the earlier post would give D.O.B. and Home address amongst much more.

Providing he made one.
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 September 13 17:10 BST (UK) »
Firstly I must apologise Adm199 as I have only seen your post dated Feb 2013  :(  thank you for the information and I will pass this on to Ronnie.

Tasha16661 - I will pass your message on to Ronnie see if your family fits in with his, and I will let you know in due course.

Kind regards

Maggie
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE