Author Topic: Kent County Lunatic Ayslum, Chartham records at Kent History and Library Centre  (Read 2819 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm hoping that someone who is planning a trip to the Kent History and Library Centre might find a few minutes to check the records for the Kent County Lunatic Asylum.

My gg-grandmother, Elizabeth CRUST (nee LUCKHURST, born c1835 in Aldington) died there on 11 Dec 1912.  She was probably there at the time of the census in 1911, but only the initials of inmates are given on the census return.  ???   She was certainly not there at the time of the census in 1901, as she was in Kingsnorth with her husband Robert.  So she was (probably) admitted between 1901 and 1911.

Elizabeth's death certificate states that she was a widow, but in fact her husband is alive and well and living with their son in South Willesborough.  So I'm keen to find out the circumstances of Elizabeth's admission to Chartham, and whether her family ever visited her.

I'm currently unable to get to Maidstone and would be so grateful to anyone who can help.  Hopefully the unusual surname, CRUST, might make it easy to find her.

CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kent County Lunatic Ayslum, Chartham records at Kent History and Library Centre
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
The records are held at the history centre but you need to check first to see if her records are held separately from other patients before anyone is allowed to look at them. This is to cover the 100 year rule. I viewed my relatives file but had to provide a copy of the death certificate first. You best bet would be to email them first to ascertain what the requirements are to view the records and if someone could view them on your behalf.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kent County Lunatic Ayslum, Chartham records at Kent History and Library Centre
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 13 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Panda.  I'll send an email and see what happens.  I think I'm (just!) OK with the 100 year rule as she died in 1912.

CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 13 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Your relative is OK but if their are others who are not and their records are included in the same files this is where the problem is. Hopefully you will be able to get the information you need. My relative didn't die until 1942 and I got his full life story including 3 escapes.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk