Author Topic: Botterell/Cottrell - Toronto - 1850s  (Read 5901 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Botterell/Cottrell - Toronto - 1850s
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 January 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

Thank you for adding the Sterne-Ellison link and for your continued interest in this thread.  "Bob" and I corresponded several years ago.  Unfortunately, I believe Bob passed away, around 2004 or 2005.  He is the reason I found out about the previous marriages of Jane Brown and William Ellison.

While it has been very interesting reading about the Botterell family members, I haven't found anything about Esther and nothing yet for Edward Sr.  Maybe with time, something will appear.

Thank you again for your interest and help, Sandra.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 January 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I just reread Edward, Sr.'s obit again and at the end it states:
"...Full obituary in the April 27 paper."

I've posted a new thread in Canada Lookup Request, asking if it is possible to view the April 27, 1881 Ottawa Free Press paper
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,632453.msg4802017.html#msg4802017
(Also posted a thread in Derbyshire, asking if there might be an obit in a Chesterfield newspaper.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Update:  Thanks to another kind RootsChatter, it has been determined that Edward Botterell was born in Chelmsford, not Chesterfield.  (Service record states Chesterfield, Essex; death details state he was born in Chelmsford, Essex.)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa - I imagine the Ottawa Public Library would have those back issues on microfilm. Hopefully, anyway, because that's a long-defunct paper. The paper that bought it in 1919 is well defunct itself now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Journal

Here we are:
http://ottawa.bibliocommons.com/item/show/116240026

Notes: Title from original caption.
Scattered issues lacking.
Physical description: microfilm reels : ill. ; 35 mm.
Dates of publication: Began publication with Dec. 27, 1869; ceased with Dec. 30, 1916.

I don't know whether they will do this kind of research and respond by email, but here's where to ask:

http://biblioottawalibrary.ca/en/about/contact/ask
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi JaneyCanuck:

Thank you so much for the information.  Hopefully they will be able to help.

I appreciate the time and trouble.  Thank you.   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Email sent to the link JaneyCanuck provided.  I will post any results.   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 January 13 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not posting this prior to today.

I received wonderful help from the staff at the library.

I received a schedule of marriages for Edward Botterell, Jr. - his parents were Edward and Hadesah Botterell.  This confirms Sandra's original finding that Esther was Esther Hadassah Brown Botterell (my ancestor, Jane Brown Ellison shares the same cemetery plot as Hadassah Botterell, wife of E. Botterell).

I also received an abbreviated notice of the passing of Edward Botterell, Sr.

Finally, a full obituary for Edward Botterell which includes the following facts:
Edward's death was partly due to a recent fall
He was born in England in 1793
He was in his 88th year when he died
Joined the army at an early age (suppose it was in England?)
Term of service was 24 years
"He came to Toronto with the 15th Regiment of Foot, from which he resigned in 1836 and five years later he connected himself with Provincial Service and continued to fulfill the duties connected therewith until 1876 when he was superannuated."
Leaves two daughters and one son (Edward Botterell, Jr.)
He presented the Protestant Hospital organization (Ottawa, I suppose) "with a valuable lot and houses in Lower Town."

I have been searching the internet for more information about Esther Hadassah Brown Botterell and Jane Brown Ellison, but have not yet found anything about their lives prior to their marriages to Ellison and Botterell.

It appears that they may have lived in Montreal (c1832) and Toronto (1839).

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 January 13 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Well that's excellent! I was apprehensive that with cuts to library services in most Ontario cities, you might not have got a good response.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/army-service-records-search.action
shows a record for Edward Botterill born 1794 in Chestrfield, Essex -- oh, is that where you had got that (incorrect) info in the first place? I was just going to say that if you haven't seen that actual record it is well worth it. I found my grx3 grfather born 1796 (once I figured out who my gr-grmother was and then back!) joining the army on Christmas Eve 1814 at the age of 17, and being discharged a few years later in Grenada with an intestinal ailment. The manuscript is quite something to see.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?