Author Topic: Sentence in Welsh for Translation, please  (Read 1275 times)

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Sentence in Welsh for Translation, please
« on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I would really appreciate if some kind person could translate the following sentence into English:

"Teimlai eiddigedd dwfn dros anrhydedd crefydd a phurdeb y ddisgyblaeth eglwysig; ac i'r cyffredin yr oedd ei eiddigedd yn fwy amlwg nai fwyneidd-dra; ond yr oedd yn bell iawn o fod yn ddyn chwerw ei ysbryd neu surllyd ei dymer"

From a 2 paragraph entry about my ggg grandparents William RICHARD and Mary ELLIS in Hanes Methodistiath Corris a'r Amulchoed by Rev Griffith Ellis 1885

I see the word "nai" which means nephew but I can't figure out the rest of the sentence with a modern dictionary or an online transltion site. I am wondering if the sentence gives any clue as to who the nephew may be.

I am aware that it is either an old form and/ or non standard of written Welsh and that that might make it especially challenging.

I have most of William RICHARD'S siblings and most  of his  descendents.

Thank you in advance
lilyj

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sentence in Welsh for Translation, please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
"He felt a deep defensiveness for the honour of religion and the purity of church discipline, and to most his defensiveness was more evident than his pleasantness, but he was very far from being a man whose spirit was bitter or who was sour of temper"

The word "nai" in the text is a typo  it should read na'i (than his)

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Sentence in Welsh for Translation, please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Dolgellau, for clearing that up for me.

Too bad it wasn't nephew: nai= nephew got my hopes up. But na'i dashed them!

Oh well. Back to the drawing board!

lilyj