Author Topic: Bentley family - Heptonstall, St. Thomas  (Read 6373 times)

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bentley family - Heptonstall, St. Thomas
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 January 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lancsann.  Just confirming so I can continue to try to find John's birth.

To all:  just saw this: baptism for John Bentley, b-7 Jan 1777, baptized 20 Nov 1842 in Hepstonstall, father Raymond (I can't really see that).  This looks interesting because I have my John's date of death as 29 Nov 1842 in Rochdale.  Would it be possible for him to know he was dying, and having not been baptized, get baptized before he died? Will order cert to check age....
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Did you look at the actual image?

The father Raymond bit has been crossed out. John was of Round Field Stansfield
Interestingly on the same day (next register entry) is Henry Bentley of Sowerby Bridge b 1784

Lancashirebmd gives the age of a John Bentley in subdistrict of Whitworth & Brandwood as age 67 which would be about right

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I think this proves it is your John if the 1841 is right as it is the same address

from lan-opc.org.uk

Burial: 29 Nov 1842 St Bartholomew, Whitworth, Lancashire, England
John Bentley -   
Abode: Bridgemill

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes did see image; why would name be crossed out? And did see the Henry. Interesting both registered late.  Will look into that also.  I just ordered the death cert for John.  But would that make sense for him to be baptized just before death??

Thanks, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Great!!  Forgot to check lan-opc before I ordered cert.  It confirm anyway... So maybe I have my John's baptisim, but still no father i guess:(

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 26 January 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
possibly the Mary on the 1841 census?

Burial: 28 Oct 1849 St Bartholomew, Whitworth, Lancashire, England
Mary Bentley -
    Abode: Millhouse

and wife Mary

Burial: 21 Nov 1849 St Bartholomew, Whitworth, Lancashire, England
Mary Bentley -
    Abode: Bridgemill

Many people who had not been baptised had a sudden religious 'conversion' when they knew they were dying

I gues the 'Raymond' bit was just a lapse on the part of the cleric, there is also something crossed out in the name column

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 January 13 00:58 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census at Rochdale, Lancashire  has them as "n"  Not born in County on the original  image ( there appears  to be a transcription error on A*****y mistaking the "n" for a "y" )   Joshua on a later census gives his birthplace as Erringden , Yorkshire  . Joshua is not a common name . Ages on the 1841 are approximate . There is a baptism at St Thomas Heptonstall 20th April   1799 Joshua Bentley son of John Bentley occupation Webster (a weaver) of Height gate Erringden . The only marriage that seems to fit in that area is Nov 1794   St Thomas Heptonstall 
John Bentley wb (webster) and Mary Dewhurst both of Erringden . People from Erringden usually used St Thomas Heptonstall .
Two possible bapts for John  at Heptonstall are 
apr 1775 s/o Samuel of Stansfield
 and
mar 1776 s/o William of Stansfield

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 January 13 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Sallyyorks - Thanks for the great synopsis.  Did you happen to look at my post #27?  What do you think of that is a possible bap. for John?

Also trying to find Joshua in 1851.  So far no luck....

Thanks to all, Lisa

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 January 13 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Lancsann - I'll have to look into that burial for the 1841 Mary.  Possible.. I can't remember if it said she was married or single.  I'll go back.

And I do believe that you showed the burial for Mary, John's wife. At least that is the one I have.

Thanks! Lisa