Author Topic: Bentley family - Heptonstall, St. Thomas  (Read 6369 times)

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bentley family - Heptonstall, St. Thomas
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Ian,

It might! So John Dewhurst marries Martha Bates in 1775. I believe 'my' Mary is born in 1776 so that would fit.  Have to go back and see if I can see a birth.  Then Mary Dewgurst marries John Bentley in 1794. Since a Richard witnessses the marriage of John and Martha, I'll have to try to see if there is a Richard who could be her father or brother.  Sure expains some of the names.  One thing that bothers me is that I don't see a John in the children of John and Mary Bentley (m-1794). There are some gaps so maybe there was a John who died....Something to think about...

Thanks for all your help.  by the way, where are you located?  I am in the US..

cheers, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 07:10 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa,

There are a couple of baptisms for Mary Dewhurst with father John listed,

16 April 1775 at Halifax, St John the Baptist, which would mean Martha was pregnant when they married if that is the one.

25th April 1776 at Elland, St Mary.

I can't trace a birth of a John Bentley to John and Mary Bentley although there were John Bentley's born in Heptonstall in that period. Why do you think they had a son John?

I live in Leeds, West Yorkshire,

Ian 
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 10:25 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa,

Possible baptism for John Dewhurst 2nd December 1753 son of Jacob Dewhurst of Ovenden at Heptonstall, St Thomas.

Possible baptism of Martha Bates 8th March 1749 daughter of John Bates (occup. Carpenter) at Halifax, St John the Baptist.

Cheers,

Ian

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Ian,

Looking at reply #10, does either St. Mary or St. Halifax make more sense or are both viable options?

And I had been surprised that Mary and John (M abt 1795-perhaps the one you found) didn't have a John as his name is John. And then if your Mary is the right one and her father is a John? With all the names repetition, you'd think they would have had a John.  But if you look at the list in first post, there are gaps if they are the correct children. A John could have been in there.

Looking back at that first post, do you think it could be likely that they are all the children of the same Mary and John?  Even with the different "abodes"?

Going back to look at the baptisms you pointed out.

How's the weather in Leeds today? It's a beautiful day here in Pennsylvania; sunny but very cold.

thanks again! Lisa       
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 January 13 05:59 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa,

Re reply #10, Heptonstall is to the north-west of Halifax and Elland is to the south-east so I would say the marriage at St John the Baptist would be the more likely one.

I did check the gaps between the births but couldn't find a John.

Of the abodes on the first post the places are in Lancashire with the exception of Highgate which was an area in Halifax, Yorkshire. Where did you get the place names from?

The weather in Leeds is around freezing with snow over the past 3 days and more snow forecast for tomorrow :(

Cheers,

Ian

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 January 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Thanks for answering my question.  As for where I got the 'abode' names, they were on the actual records on Ancestry, West Yorkshire BMD's, Heptonstall, St. Thomas. I wonder if the family went from Yorkshire to Lancashire between the 1800 Highgate and 1806 Stonewood birth (if in fact all the births are from the same family). 

Will do some more poking around today. Going to see if I can find a "Richard Bates" connection.  If there were only some flashing lights that went off when you found the correct record!!

Cheers, Lisa

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 January 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
HI there everyone  :)

On the 1841 the Bentleys at Rochdale are NOT  born in County (Lancashire) apart from Martha (did she marry into the family ?)   

occupations are
John 1776  occ a weaver , cotton
Joshua 1801 , a cotton carder
Martha (wife of Joshua ? ) born in county , a frame tenter
Mary b ??? , a frame tenter
George 1830 , a mill piecer

Some bapt detail from Heptonstall Registers

Samuel 1795 of Height Gate , Erringden , fathers occ Webster (another name for a Weaver)
Josh 1799 Highgate , Erringden , father occ Webster
Mary 1800 ditto above
William 1806 Stoneswood Factory (a weaving mill) , Todmorden , Hundersfield
Richard 1811 Stoneswood Bottom , Hundersfield

(i dont think the place Hundersfield is the nearby town of Huddersfield  , similar name) 

Can't see Martha and George at moment will post more info as i find

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 January 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
.......cont from above 
Ahhhhhh  :)
"Hundersfield"
otherwise known as Honnersfield (not to be confused with Huddersfield ) was  a Parish of Rochdale , wich straddled the Yorkshire  , Lancashire border .
So that would fit with a census at Rochdale , Lancashire  and with the  Heptonstall/Erringden/Todmorden  area Yorkshire

link Hundersfield wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundersfield

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 January 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
This might help to understand the area then and now