Author Topic: Worth Noting! Free Record Access - Online Irish History Day January 24!  (Read 4993 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Worth Noting! Free Record Access - Online Irish History Day January 24!
« Reply #45 on: Friday 25 January 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
On the right hand side of the page the marriage result is returned, FindMyPast have very clearly stated the reason for apparent multiple spouses......if you read the blurb next to the transcription, it is explained. The problem is, many are not reading/understanding same and assuming it is literally a 2nd, 3rd marriage etc........perhaps FindMyPast should reconsider their wording on the transcript part of the result.

The results are statutory indexes, so as such, none of the images will contain parents details.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 January 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum,

In twenty years doing genealogy, I've never encountered such confusion in a website.

Regardless of their small print - my grandfather is wrongly shown marrying a stranger as his 1st wife!

No amount of explanation on their page can correct this, nor the other two inaccuracies on his 2nd marriage....

Yes, I agree FindMyPast should review the issue, plus all the others mentioned.

Cheers

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 25 January 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
As Scotmum mentions, the captions are a little misleading..there's no 1st marriage, 2nd marriage The names simply correspond to other people with the same Index references, i.e. the same year/quarter, registration district , volume number & page. These people appear on the same page of the register and each one of them are a potential spouse. There's no way to tell from the index alone which one of these married.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 January 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am shocked at all the criticism. 

Yes, these are just the same indexes as on FamilySearch as far as I can see, but, with the addition of several levels of search refinement, including the one that most people who struggled with the marriages on the FS index have asked for, the possibility of seeing all the options of the possible spouses that appear on the same registration page.

There is, what appeared to me, a clear, and fairly large print, explanation of this information.  Is it that this database has attracted many searchers who are not already familiar with the pre-1912 UK BMD records?

The fault seems to be in that they have tried to explain why there are options, rather than just waiting for those who haven't previously used a BMD index to come and ask us here on RootsChat!
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)