Author Topic: The National Archives, Kew Lookup Request - Royal Navy Record  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The National Archives, Kew Lookup Request - Royal Navy Record
« on: Monday 21 January 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

If anyone is going to Kew, weather permitting, please could you look up a record in ADM 36/16810. This record is the muster roll for HMS Proselyte covering years 1804 to 1805. I have sought an estimate for copying this whole document which was nearly £300. I can't understand how for a muster roll for maximum of 2 years!

I would like to find out where my 2nd great grandfather Thomas Burnett joined HMS Proselyte, if the muster roll tells this, and any other detail it may say about him.

The Royal Navy purchased the Newcastle collier Ramillies in June 1804 and commissioned her (possibly in North Shields) as HMS Proselyte in September 1804.

According to the pay record (obtained from the NA at a much more reasonable cost) my 2nd great grandfather Thomas Burnett's service with the Royal Navy began as an Able Seaman on 2 Nov 1804 on HMS Proselyte.

His pay record indicates that he was born in Montrose in Scotland. This record also confusingly appears to refer to his service on HMS Proselyte under the name Robert Thomas and the title of the whole pay record appears to refer to him a G Thomas Burnett. However I may be miss-understanding the script used in these words in italics.

Also the rank of Able Seaman usually means a sailor with at least 2 years experience and yet there is no earlier pay record for Thomas as an Ordinary Seaman.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts