Author Topic: Three great-great-grandparents 'missing' from FreeBMD (births 1838-1845)  (Read 2810 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Three great-great-grandparents 'missing' from FreeBMD (births 1838-1845)
« on: Wednesday 23 January 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I can't find three of my great-great-grandparents on FreeBMD.  I'm aware that they were born soon after civil registration began.  I hav tried (I think) all the usual misspellings etc. but to no avail.  I transcribe for FreeBMD so feel I understand the site quite well, but maybe I'm missing a trick (or two)?

1.  David Godden, baptised 16 Aug 1840 in Ruckinge, Kent.  On all censuses from 1841 to 1911 inclusive (ages 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 61 and 70).  1861 census states 'born Bilsington', all others (except 1841 of course) state 'born Ruckinge'.  He died 23 jul 1916, aged 76.  His older brother, Orland(o) was registered in 1838.  Ruckinge is in East Ashford RD.

2.   Mary Shepherd, baptised 27 Jan 1846, Temple Guiting, Gloucestershire.  On census 1851 to 1891 inclusive (ages 5, 15, 26, 37, 44).   All census records state 'born Pinnock, Gloucestershire'.  She died 6 Aug 1896, age 53.  Pinnock is in Winchcomb RD.

3.  David Rogers, baptised 27 Sep 1838, Builth, Breconshire.  On 1841, 1851, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses (ages 2, 12, 31, 42, 52, 60).  1881 census states 'born Blaenavon', all others (except 1841) state 'born Builth'.  He died 3 May 1910, age 70.  Builth is in Builth RD.

Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Three great-great-grandparents 'missing' from FreeBMD (births 1838-1845)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 14:49 GMT (UK) »
with your number 2  regarding Mary Shepherd the GLS BMD suggests>

"SHEPHERD Mary SHEPHERD/ SHEPHERD nee GALEY registered 1849 Cheltenham Winchcombe, Guiting 4 463"

so maybe this one is a late birth registration, even though she was christened earlier ...?

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/BirthSearch.aspx

:)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked when the parents married in each case?
If the child was born just before the wedding, then could be registered in mothers maiden name
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 "Goddens Male" registered in East Ashford district (includes Ruckinge and Bilsington), one in Dec 1839, one in Dec 1841.  Maybe the parents registered him while making up their minds what to call him?  The Dec 1839 is probably worth looking at?  MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 "Goddens Male" registered in East Ashford district (includes Ruckinge and Bilsington), one in Dec 1839, one in Dec 1841.  Maybe the parents registered him while making up their minds what to call him?  The Dec 1839 is probably worth looking at?  MaxD
Thanks.  I had seen this one and ruled it out as being too early, but maybe I was too hasty.  I just hate spending money on a certificate that turns out to be wrong!
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »

I have one line of my family where everyone of their 5 children have no name at birth and are either down as male or female.Luckliy the surname is rare enough (Rapkin) for me to know that each one, is one of mine  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked when the parents married in each case?
If the child was born just before the wedding, then could be registered in mothers maiden name
Thanks Liz, good advice as ever.  For David Godden I'm pretty sure this is not the case as his older brother was registered.  I think Mary Shepherd's mother was Mary Williams, so I will try that, Mary does seem to have been the eldest and her parents married 29 Jul 1845 so her baptism was only six months later.  David Rogers is the sixth born of seven so probably not in his case, but I will try.  All 'lateral thoughts' much appreciated!
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 16:02 GMT (UK) »
with your number 2  regarding Mary Shepherd the GLS BMD suggests>

"SHEPHERD Mary SHEPHERD/ SHEPHERD nee GALEY registered 1849 Cheltenham Winchcombe, Guiting 4 463"

so maybe this one is a late birth registration, even though she was christened earlier ...?

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/BirthSearch.aspx

:)
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have Mary's parents as William and Mary (nee Williams).
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
David GODDEN is clearly shown as age 11 months at the time of the 1841 census so a birth should be June/Julyish 1840 so June or September quarters 1840 if it's correct (would be about the norm given the date of the baptism too).  I can't see anything obvious either.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk