Author Topic: 1851 Census in Beaufort  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Hil1021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census in Beaufort
« on: Thursday 24 January 13 04:16 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census for Beaufort my ancestors, Thomas and Mary Price were living at "Robert's Row 3".  Thomas was a miner and all of the families living on Robert's Row were also miners. Some of their children's birth certificates say they were born at Robert's Row in Raseau (Rassau) which I understand is very near Beaufort. Other birth certificates simply say they were born at "Upper Raseau".  Does anyone know the exact location of Robert's row? Were these row houses torn down?  I haven't been able to find it on any old maps.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census in Beaufort
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 13 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I think that Roberts Row and all that area would have been demolished many many years ago.  If google street view the area will see little of the 1850/1900 Rassau.  I search through the census to see if there were any remaining geographical locations but unfortunately I could not locate any.  There are 2 address's that retain the same names (Morgans Row & Needham Row) but I don't know if they are in the same actual locations.

1. Morgans Row (postcode NP23 5SQ) is on page 19 of the census (your family page 11)
2. Needham Row (postcode NP23 5QE) is on page 30 of the census.

If you load  www.old-maps.co.uk and enter either postcode and then click on the first address it will give a map of the current area -if you then click on the pre 1880 map it will give a map of the area around 1880.  Not great quality but will give an idea.

I live about 10 miles from Rassau but do not know the area all that well - hopefully with this reply you will get some more local information

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Hil1021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for trying to help me find the exact location. Having the postcodes is very helpful. I'm not surprised the home no longer exists, but am sad I won't be able to pinpoint an exact area with certainty.  Thomas and Mary Price were my 4th great grandparents who emigrated to America in 1872.  Having locals who are willing to answer my questions is very valuable.

Thanks again,
Hilary

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hilary

Not to sure how & if this relates to you but there is a 2002 entry on Rootsweb which relates to your family at Roberts Row.  This is the link:http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GLAMORGAN/2002-04/1017747051

If the link does not work google "Roberts Row, Rassau, 1851 census" and then click on the Rootsweb Glamorgan site.  Not to sure of the connection but it does mention family moving to USA in the 1870's.

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Hil1021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I think this 2002 entry does fit into my family.  Hopefully I will be able to make contact with them and possibly work together.  Thanks so much!! I never would have found this without your help.

Hilary

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hilary

Obviously I don't know how far you are along on the family history but seeing the reference to the emigration to USA and the links with LDS, if not already seen, you may be interested in these websites.  Some of my family went to USA with the Mormon movement (but did turn to RLDS) and I found these sites informative and useful:

http://welshmormon.byu.edu/Default.aspx

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/jcrosby/history/rees/rees1.html