Author Topic: a STORM in Australia ? Help please.  (Read 4189 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: a STORM in Australia ? Help please.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 31 January 13 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
How can this be ? Three pages of answers that I haven't even seen ??!!

Firstly, thanks for all the digging and delving you've been doing on my behalf.If I'd got my notification of answers received , I could have cleared you all up on a few issues a little earlier!

Catharine Maria Storm born 1839 : her parents are David and Margaret but Margaret is his second wife, and the children baptised in Cardiff with the mother's name "Elizabeth" are his children from first marriage. Elizabeth's already dead at this point.

Catherine's mother dies in 1840 and she is "lent out" to a childless couple called Evans who are related in some way to Mr Storm.Then her father goes bankrupt and dies (1845) and she lands in the Orphan school. She has no full blood siblings. All the children of her mother ( my direct line via sibling) from first marriage and to Mr Storm die either as infants or young adults and all without issue. This is why I am so interested in Catherine.....if she had issue or not.

The marriage for Catherine and Thomas Coate looks good.....except the father (or is that the death cert?) states the father as being James and not David. Or maybe the new husband didn't know any better ?
My gut feeling says that the Cath.Maria in Australia is the right one but I'd just like to be sure!

Rebel

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 31 January 13 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I am sure this is your Catherine and the marriage certificate would have the names of her parents including her mother's maiden name.  However as Catherine's parents died when she was so young it would be understandable if they were not accurate on her marriage certificate and therefore on her death certificate. 

What was Catherine's mother's maiden name?

You can purchase and immediately download images of certificates in Victoria [AUD20].
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Victorian certificates contain a wealth of information. Perhaps take the time to read this link.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Her inquest file should be at the Public Records of Victoria.  There is no research or copying service available as you need to visit or engage a research agent.

Inquest Index
COATES Catherine Maria
Place Ballarat  1869  Ref#127
Cause Typhoid Fever

There is no birth registered to Thomas COATE/S and Catherine STORM and as both her marriage and deaths were in the same year with her burial in May I doubt there were any. Her death certificate would note any issue to the marriage.

Marriage in Victoria
STORM Catherine Maria born Kingston
COATE Thomas born Somersetshire
1869  Reg#1032

Death
COATE Catherine Maria
Father James STORM  Mother Margaret UNKNOWN
24 years  Born BRIS  1869  Reg#3372   [added - ?Bristol]

This may be her buried at the Ballarat Cemetery as...  [added - it is her as there are no other deaths registered in that name on the indexes.  Maria has been mistranscribed as Maud]

COATES Catherine Maud   24 years  14 May 1869
Wife of Hill Street, Ballarat
Area Church of England  Section 13  Grave#15   

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 31 January 13 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya
Thanks for your response.
Catherine's mother was born Powell widowed Morgan died Storm.
I've tried tricking the system and Powell shows as a name.

Are you sure that the images are instantly available and downloadable? I thought they still had to be ordered or "requested!....

I still can' t fathom why a young , orphaned girl would end up in Australia. My thoughts are that she would have been sent via the school. She came from "a good house" and the court case implies she was working in an affluent and well placed household as a child nurse /governess.

But nothing backs this up ! No passenger record, no other source...And heavens! If this is the right girl, where was she between her 3 months hard labbout in 1859 and her marriage 1869 ?

The burial age doesn't fit at all, but hey , not a lot of a lot of things is reliable!

Loose ends eh?
Rebel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 31 January 13 22:18 GMT (UK) »
May I please re-assure you that in past years I have immediately downloaded images of bdm certs from Victoria's website that Cando posted for you.  It is a simple process and requires your plastic card details.    The info available on Vic certs is as good or better than the depth of info available on Scottish certs .... in other words, in my view, Vic certificates are the best in the world for giving up info for family history research  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 31 January 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that the images are instantly available and downloadable? I thought they still had to be ordered or "requested!....

Of course I'm sure.  Please give me some credit for researching in Australia.  I have spent a lot of time trying to help you with your request.

Why shouldn't she emigrate to SA.  She may have gained employment as a servant with a family and the family emigrated and you will not find a passenger record if they emigrated as an unassisted emigrants.

Her death certificate would detail her time in Australia and in which Colony ie South Australia and Victoria.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 31 January 13 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear. This is getting a bit confusing:

David Storm and Elizabeth Storm
baptised Aug 4th 1893 Cardiff
father: David, Master Builder
mother: Elizabeth  :-\

I don't know what to make of that ....

I have found a David Storm marriage to a Margaret in Scotland, but I think I'll leave that out of the mix as it might just complicate matters further ....

Oh well that all makes sense Rebel, now that we know David married twice. I take it you already had details of children born to David and both wives?  :-\

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have now successfullly downloaded the death cert. for Catherine Maria but it leaves me with the same amount of doubt as I had previously.!

The age is wrong (states 24 when she would have been 29), the father's name is wrong (states James not David).It does state that she had been 8 years in Victoria..which at least ties in with the courtcase..and that she had had no children.

So, no real clarity and still the question of how to find any.
Her entry into Australia : if she travelled as an unassisted passenger ,she wouldn't necessarily be on any passenger list?
The courtcase and the hard labour sentence : do any gaol records exist ? court proceedings ?

Otherwise I'm lost as to where to go next..
Rebel
PS what useful thing can I do with the other 4 names listed on her death reg page ?