Author Topic: Marriage for Robert Baxter & Sarah ? - Help Needed  (Read 1162 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Marriage for Robert Baxter & Sarah ? - Help Needed
« on: Thursday 24 January 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
HI all,

I am posting this on behalf of my Godmother, whom i am helping with her family research, but this particular marriage is proving something of a stumbling block!

Her ancestor Robert Baxter married Sarah Reachallous on 30th July 1817 in St. Neots, Beds/Cambs/Hunts. St Neots seems to appear in these 3 counties at various times causing problems in themselves.

My Godmother & I have consulted the printed indexes & records etc, but need the original marriage entry checked as we both feel that Sarah's surname has probably been mistranscribed.

Sarah states on the 1851 & 71 censuses that she was born in St Neots, Hunts but in 1861 she gives place of birth as Toseland, Hunts. Sarah died in 1873.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage for Robert Baxter & Sarah ? - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 13 23:22 GMT (UK) »
St Neots was in Huntingdnshire back then.

http://genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HUN/StNeots/index.html

All records of BMD's are held at http://genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HUN/index.html#Archives
Including marriages: 1691-1720, 1721-1754, 1754-1780, 1780-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1861, 1862-1896, 1896-1925, 1925-1938, 1938-1953, 1953-1961, 1961-1969, 1969-1974.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol8353,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Will check out those links.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 13 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

If you can get across to St Ives to the record office so much the better,if not, why don't you email them? As you have the exact date of the marriage I'm sure they'd look it up and send you a copy.Probably cheaper than the petrol to drive over there LOL  ;D

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Me again!

Have you seen the Hunts resources and offers board?

Magslote has suggested the  Hunts Look Ups Exchange.

Sorry I can't post the link to the board,since the upgrade on Rootschat I haven't been able to do that.

Carol 

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 January 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol8353,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, much appreciated.

I will definately take a look at the Hunts Resources & Offers Board & failing that i will email the record office.

Kind regards

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 13 05:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't think Sarah's name is a mistranscription. There are many Reachelous/Rachelous baptisms in St Neots going back to 1679. Unfortunately there were no Reachelous baptisms in St Neots 1777-1898. Nor can I see a male Reachelous marriage who could have had a daughter in the 1790s

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 February 13 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Many thanks indeed for your reply, much appreciated.

Hmmm, a case of back to the drawing board possibly! ;D

I think i might see if i can check Toseland baptisms as that's where she says she was born on the 1861 census and see what if anything that brings up!

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David