Author Topic: Marriage age in 17th century Scotland  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Joanchurchill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage age in 17th century Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Graham,

I too am very interested in finding both William Jaffray and Janet Smarts birth records. I know there are two records for Janet which put her in the 10-12 age bracket but I can find no trace of a William being born on 29 August 1730. Would love to see a copy of the record please. William and Janet are my daughter-in-laws 4th Great Grandparents.

Regards Joan Churchill

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 09:34 BST (UK) »
The only contribution I can make here is from my own family. My great-great-great-grandparents Janet Smart and William Jaffray were married in Stirlingshire in 1779. Janet was 12, William 49.

I too am very interested in finding both William Jaffray and Janet Smarts birth records. I know there are two records for Janet which put her in the 10-12 age bracket but I can find no trace of a William being born on 29 August 1730.

What is the evidence for the Janet Smart who married William Jaffray being only 12 years old?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Sketchy, is the answer to that! There's a headstone, some unsourced family tree notes from early 20th century. I have an unsourced note that William was baptised 29th Aug 1730 at St Ninians. The limited exploration I've done of St Ninians has been confusing - lots of Jaffray families all using the same Christian names so very difficult to untangle.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
What exactly does the headstone say?

Noting that William and Janet's younger children were baptised in Airth, could she have been the Janet Smart baptised in Airth in 1750?

There is a baptism of William Jaffery on 29 August 1730 in St Ninians. If you search Scotland's People for Jaffray you wouldn't find that.

But that William J*ff*r*y would have been 60 when Janet Smart's youngest child was born, which also looks unusual.

There's a baptism of another William Jaffery in St Ninians in 1746, who looks like a possible candidate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Joanchurchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
The headstone gives date of death for William and Janet Smart and also their daughter Margaret. There are two birth dates for Janet Smart 11 September 1767 (Thomas Smart & Mary Mitchell parents), 4 Jan 1769 (James Smart & Elizabeth Paterson parents). Both these dates make her way to young to be married and having children. I cannot find any other Janet Smart being Christened in the time frame that would match. Regarding William on their first childs Christening records it states that the witnesses were Robert Jaffray and Will Jaffray Senior. Now I have researched Williams whose father is also William and found one born 20 June 1745 to William Jaffray and Margaret Allison. What are your thoughts on this. Most info going around has Williams father as John Jaffray and the mother either Margaret Mitchell or Margaret Gillespi they put the birth date of 29 August 1730, but I cannot find any record of this.

Offline Joanchurchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me where you found the birth of Janet Smart in 1750 please as I havent found that.
Joan

Offline Joanchurchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
Also where can I find the William Jaffery birth in 1730 please
Joan

Offline Joanchurchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 13:02 BST (UK) »
I have located the birth for Janet Smart 1 April 1750, born to Thomas and Janet Duncanson
Joan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 18:51 BST (UK) »