Author Topic: Prussia - Papenfuss  (Read 3859 times)

Offline spapenfuss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prussia - Papenfuss
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 February 14 04:35 GMT (UK) »
As a Papenfuss, I can tell you the name isn't all that easy to trace beyond a certain point; right around 1800 for my family. My family hails from the Stolp/Schlawe area in Prussia, which is in today's Poland, and where many with the Papenfuss name seem to be from. My understanding is that many of the records were destroyed there right after WWII, or are just not as accessible as records in other locations.

I have recently been able to find a very (very, very) distant cousin that has helped me trace other lines back three or four centuries beyond what I had, so you never know what will turn up. For my part, I likely won't be of any help, but I'd love to compare notes with you.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 February 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, SP.

Some of the people are alive, so I can't post those details here. But I can tell you that Edmund Jacobsz Papenfus was born 21 April 1890 in Cape Town (his descendants are still in S Africa). His father was Stephanus, b. c1857 in the Cape Colony. Beyond that, I am stuck.

I think Stephanus had a brother, Herbert Boshoff Papenfus, b. 14.2.1865 Bloemfontain. He became a barrister in London.
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spapenfuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 February 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
meles,

If Herbert was a brother, I have some information on him, his parents, and one or two other brothers, though no Stephanus.

I'm happy to share what I've found, but, being new to Rootschat, unsure how to do so. Let me know what you think is best.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
That's good news!

You can put the information here, as long as you don't say anything about living people. Or, if you prefer not to, then you can contact me direct. I have sent you a personal message.

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 February 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
spapenfuss will need to make 1 more post, in order to use the PM system?!

Just reply to the thread with any old rubbish! Just "hello" will be sufficient ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline spapenfuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 February 14 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello! And thanks, I was wondering how I would be able to use the PM functionality.