Author Topic: 1901 Census John RACE  (Read 2629 times)

Offline mrace14066

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census John RACE
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 February 16 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Martha,

I have read numerous posts you have made regarding the Race Family in Newton Cap.  I truly hope you are still receiving messages via RootsChat!  John & Ann are my 3rd great grandparents, this is my family!

I am Mark Race, from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.  I just joined RootsChat just so I could respond to your posts.... who are you!?! 

Of the children that John Race & Ann Sedgwick had, Joseph (Joseph Sibley Race) Race immigrated to the United States in 1877 with his wife, Maria Hall Redman.  They settled in Homestead, a suburb of the Pittsburgh, and had 11 children.   One of which was Joseph Howard Race, my grandfather.  I have all of this thoroughly documented back to John & Ann.

Thomas also came to the United States with his wife & daughter in 1888.  Thomas's wife was Dinah Pickering, his daughter Annie Edith Race.  Dinah died right after arriving here and I have yet to find any information at all on her death.   Thomas literally disappeared after the 1901 US Census but I have a US Social Security Claim filed by Annie in Elmira, New York.  Still researching that ....   Annie married Gersham Arthur Davies in 1904 and remained in Homestead almost until her death.
She, Annie, literally lived across the street from the hospital I was born in...

The remaining siblings of John and Ann stayed in England.  I have looked high & low for anyone knowing anything of the family.   If you are still using RootsChat please contact me.  My username is mrace14066. 

I know I must still have family there that are living.  I plan on taking a trip to Durham in 2017 during the summer to see where my family came from & hopefully find other descendants of John and Ann.

I still have work to do on John's parents & siblings so I cannot definitively give you information that I cannot substantiate.   I "believe" Johns parents were either John Race & Ann Hull, or John Race & Jane Hull.   The Hull family were centered around Sherburn Hospital, Sherburn, Durham.  They are well documented and I have had definite DNA results & contact with other descendants of the Hull family still living there.  There is no doubt that John's mother was a Hull, just not certain which one at this point.  There are marriages to both Jane & Ann with John as the husband.  At the moment, speculation....

Again, if you receive this post please respond!

Mark Race...

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 February 16 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark, and welcome to Rootschat, with mention of a Hull family connection just wondering if this is John in 1851?

Mary Hull 73 Widow occ Gardeness b Bishop Aukland
Mary Hull 40 Daughter Unmarried b Newton Cap
John Race 13 Son b Newton Cap
Residing at Newton Cap, Aukland
Census Ref HO107/2385/151/15
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 04:18 GMT (UK) »
An interesting relic that still survives at Newton Cap.

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/gallery/newtoncap.html

When you come to England (if you have not been there before) remember that you will be driving on the correct side of the road. Transitioning from the USA is easier if you get an automatic car instead of a stick shift. 

Offline martharose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark
Welcome to Roots. I haven't checked into Roots for a very long time.  John Race was my great great grandmother's brother (Mary Race).  I was going to attach some notes but I can't remember how to do it or even if you can, and I can't find anywhere on the site for attaching documents.  Perhaps anyone reading this can refresh my memory.  Maybe you could send me a PM?  I'll see if anyone replies and then contact you again.   Kind regards, Marian

Offline mrace14066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Keyboard:   Yes, that is the same John Race that married Ann Sedgwick.  He is listed as a son but that is incorrect, it should read "grandson".   The first Mary listed at age 73 is Mary Elgy (Elgey) Hull, the 2nd Mary listed is her daughter, Mary Hull, bap.21.10. 1805.

John HULL bap. l3.ll.l782 Sherburn House, Sherburn married
Mary ELGY(aka ELGEE) bap. 24.11.1776 Auckland St. Andrew

John HULL  m. Mary ELGY        14 June l802       Auckland St. Andrew

Parents to:

Ann HULL, bap.12.4.1803 (died infant?)
Mary HULL, bap. 21.10. 1805
Ralph HULL, bap. 24.10. 1807
Matthew HULL, bap. 1810
John HULL, bap. 4.7.1814 1814
Jane HULL, bap. 14.5. 1816
Ann HULL, bap. 16.1.1818

Auckland St. Andrews parish register entries found:

Ann HULL, birth 7th April 1803, bap. 12th April 1803, daughter of John HULL, labourer, native of Sherbourn (sic.) near Durham by his wife Mary ELGEE native of this Parish

Offline mrace14066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 February 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Marian:  My God!  Thank you so much for replying so quickly.   I think I messaged you on another site also not knowing you were the same person..   

There just is so much I can tell you!  The Race Family lives & breathes in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania!  When Joseph and Maria came to the US they had 11 children, one of which was my grandfather, Joseph Howard Race.  The 11 children, combined, had an additional 32 children.  And of course, those children married and so on....  there are a few hundred of us in the surrounding Pittsburgh area.

I am 59, have two sons, Chris & Jacob.   They both have children & both have sons, age 2 & 7 months.   The name continues on... 

Try to contact me through mrace14066 at gmail dot com.  I am waiting on the last of the certificates, about 4, from the GRO (General Records Office, HM Passport) in England and I will have all birth, marriage & death on the family from John & Ann on down... with the exception of Thomas & Dinah.   That has me stumped.

Are you a member of Ancestry.com?  The entire family tree is there, it is kept private at the moment until I have finished, but everything is there.  I have started to take everything up one level & search out John's parents & siblings.  I have seen various census's that had John listed but wasn't quite sure who was who...   It wasn't until recently that I found that John Race Sr had been married to two different Hull's and I believe them to be cousins, not sisters.  Can you tell me where John Race Sr (Mary's brother) was born & who his parents may have been?  Were there other siblings besides Mary?

Some how, some way, we have got to exchange information.  I hope the email address above helps.  I was just on the edge of posting an article in newspapers around the Newton Cap area.  I know there are Race's there, found them in the phone book.  That is just to much of a coincidence for them not to be family in some manor.

If you have access to Find-A-Grave in the US, or try the links,

Homestead Cemetery: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=45138&CScn=Homestead+Cemetery&CScntry=4&CSst=40&CScnty=2242&

Jefferson Memorial Cemetery: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=45197&CScn=Jefferson+Memorial+Park&CScntry=4&CSst=40&

Joseph Sibley Race & Maria Hall Redman Race are buried at Homestead along with some of there children & family.   My son & I take care of the gravesites when we are able to go up.   Jefferson Memorial has the remainder of our family there.  If you type in "Race" as a search name you will find most everyone.  I have amended or created allot of the memorials and did my best to link them all together in both of the cemeteries.

I know I'm wandering in 10 different directions.  My apologies, just don't know where to start!

Mark

Offline mrace14066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 February 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
BarryD:   I know...  I drive professionally in the states, tractor trailer, cross country.  I am concerned about driving over there...  funny!  Hopefully I will have enough sense to follow others.

Offline martharose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 February 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark, I will email you and attach my notes - regards Marian.