Author Topic: Home Children - Looking for information  (Read 2279 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children - Looking for information
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 January 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
JJ said: "He may have said I 'll marry you, but not keep the children."

My great-aunt probably would have been better off if my gr-grfather had said just that. Instead, she lived with a stepfather who refused to acknowledge her - she never used his surname, she wasn't in the family photos, she didn't get an inheritance - and when they immigrated to Canada as a family, she remained single and worked in a factory all her life -- fortunately, for a model employer, and she was later surrounded by sisters and nieces and nephews, and ultimately me and my cousin before she died, who loved her dearly.

Being a home child wasn't always the worst fate! My grandmother's other sister married a man who came to Canada as an older home child, i.e. as a farm labourer, and they had their own farm and they and their descendants have prospered.

Enough time passed between Mary Ann's birth and mother Sarah's marriage that it is unlikely Mary Ann was John Cowley's child. But Sarah may just have been in a better position to keep a child than she was with her first child.

Remember that not all pregnancies resulted from voluntary activity. My gr-grmother was in service in a household in 1890, and we understand that the "father" of her daughter was the offspring of the head of that household (whose surname my gr-aunt had as a middle name). Young women in that position were very vulnerable to exploitation and abuse, and that could have been what happened to Sarah -- either in her employment or in other circumstances. No support, financial or otherwise, would likely have been forthcoming from whoever fathered her child, in any case.

It's sad to think of the children relinquished to institutions in these cases, but sometimes the situations their mothers were in were just as sad.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline libell25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 February 13 14:50 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandmother did very well for herself here in Canada and lived/worked for a family who we believe cared for her well.  They remained in contact with her even after she married and moved on.
Mary Ann was not a Cowley.  We know this for a fact, however, Cowley accepted her and she was raised using the name Cowley.  She however used her name Charker later in life prior to getting married.  This is why the questions have been raised as to why Dorcas was sent away and Mary Ann was not.  Dorcas was obviously kept by her Mother Sarah for a period of time as she knew her sister Mary Ann and either kept in contact with her or regained contact with her as a young adult.  We have numerous letter from Mary Ann to Dorcas.  We also have many letter from Florence who was the youngest Cowley child.  It leads us to believe that she may have had contact with her family in England all along.  This is why we're trying to determine what her age was when she was giving into the care of the Maria Rye Home.  Perhaps they gave her away for the sole purpose of sending her to Canada for what they believed would be  a better life. 
All said and done, obviously we're happy she was sent or we wouldn't be here!!  She wouldn't have met my great-grandfather and gone on to have kids, etc, etc. 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 February 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I really wanted to find her on the 1891....I can often trawl through and eventually get the bad transcriptions...but no luck.
She isn't with the same family but because they had so many children soon after may have been sent to help the family some time between census. I imagined she'd be in the same area as that's where many of the older children are positioned...by older I mean around 10 and up. ::) I didn't look for them all, but I even tried to find the really wee ones from the passenger list and I could not...were they adopted out or because I found so few, did the matron refuse entry to the enumerator? Hard to know without looking again at 1901...
I am glad she was sent to a good family and had some nice family memories! Had she not been been allowed to wander the neighbourhood, she wouldn't have met the young lad working down the block! :)

Have you tried the email contacts we gave you?...There is sometimes a small line about each child and their circumstances and to whom they were sent, although it may only be the child's initials.... because your gal had so many name transcription or phonetic issues...(I see she was Chalk on census) it would be wise to also tell them the full name of the head of the household to which she was sent. I see that you have not mentioned the surname and I won't either...
all the best  J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:34 GMT (UK) »
When it comes to why people did what they did a century ago, generally we can only speculate. ;)

I might think that Sarah was perhaps unable to care for two children at a certain point, and with Dorcas being of an age where she was somewhat independent, she was the one placed. (For Mary Ann, Sarah might have been able to work and pay for her board as a "nurse child" while she was very young, or may have placed her in care and been able to take her back when she married.)

Sarah may have truly believed Dorcas would have a better life in Canada, if she knew at the time of the placement that this was the plan, as you surmise -- while Mary Ann was too young for that option.

On the other hand, this could have been one of the cases where the parent intended a temporary placement to get through a hard time, and the child was "exported" without the parent's knowledge (and often told that the parent had abandoned them or died).

That doesn't seem to be the case for Dorcas since she remained in touch with family. So I really might think that Sarah felt that Dorcas would be better off in care or in Canada than with a single mother struggling to support her and an infant or toddler.

Do try the contacts that have been suggested. You might strike it lucky and find that there are records that offer at least some information if not all the answers.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 February 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Libell,

I wholeheartedly endorse the suggestion made that you contact the Children's Society re possible further information.

I discovered a Home Child in my family a few years ago and, with the help and guidance from the members on here, I managed to put the pieces of the jigsaw together. 

Rather than bore you with the details, I will just say that, having contacted the particular Society where my relative had been placed, I was rewarded with photocopies of the correspondence which had passed between the Home and the child's distraught mother.  It took six months to process my request but it was well worth the wait.

There is quite a lot about Miss Rye online and it seems as though her papers are held at Liverpool University.

http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/collections/colldescs/mariarye.html

I live not too far from Liverpool so, if I can help at all, please send me a pm. 

R.

Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 February 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes those are the mini bios ( they may only be one-liners but they can be very helpful....)
Seeing the images references reminded me to send you here as they are posted online...
http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/maria-rye-niagara-on-the-lake.html
In case you didn't get back to my Home children resource thread ( where you'd posted originally)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355348.msg507114.html#msg507114

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com