Author Topic: St Woolos Cemetery, Newport  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Murphester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Woolos Cemetery, Newport
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 04:50 GMT (UK) »
I would like to find the burial records (and would love a photo of the headston) of my uncle, Stanley Browning who was buried in St Woolos cemetery (I'm assuming the one on Risca Road) in 1968.

Would anyone have access to these records?

Many thanks
Preserve your memories, keep them well,
For what you forget you can never retell.
- Louisa May Alcott

Whitehead (Cheshire)
Tilston (Cheshire)
Pullin/Pullen (Wales)
Went (Wales)

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Woolos Cemetery, Newport
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murphester
The staff that work at the cemetry are very helpful, if you go to the cemetry and go to the lodge give them the details (date of death etc) they will look in the books for you,  give you the plot number and show you or give you a map to inable you to find it. Thats what they did for me when i ws looking for my gradfather who died in the late 1920s.
If you live to far away to do this yourself, I could do it for you, but i do not know if they are open on Sat. mormings, if not i will not be able to get there until the end of March, (my next working day off)
Regards
Rgee
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
Anstice, Bristol& Monmouthshire
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline Murphester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 13 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply rgee.  I'm in Australia so unfortunately that's not a option for me. 
I'll contact them directly and see if they can help.  Many thanks for your offer.
- Louisa May Alcott

Whitehead (Cheshire)
Tilston (Cheshire)
Pullin/Pullen (Wales)
Went (Wales)

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck, but the offer remains open, just let me have the details and i will do what i can as soon as poss.
regards
Rgee
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline Murphester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
rgee, I think I will take you up on your offer.  I know my mum (who lives here in Australia) would really love to see a photo of the grave - he died after she emigrated.

Name:  Stanley Leoville BROWNING
Date of death:  19 SEP 1968

Many, many thanks!  There is absolutely no rush, so just whenever you are heading that way.
- Louisa May Alcott

Whitehead (Cheshire)
Tilston (Cheshire)
Pullin/Pullen (Wales)
Went (Wales)

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murphester
                 I was at St Woolos today and asked about Stanley Leoville Browning and they have no record of a burial for him,they also checked under L Browning for me and couldn't see any record of a male with that name at that time.There maybe something in the BMD's in the local paper for that time, I will try and check for you next week if i can.

Steve

Census Information Crown

Offline Murphester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 February 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve100, that's very kind of you.  I wonder why they wouldn't have a record at all?

I actually have a copy of the Death notice in the paper as my Grandfather always carried it with him.

"BROWNING, Stanley.  On September 19, by accident, Stanley, aged 29 years,........  Funeral Thursday, services at St Woolos Cathedral at 3 p.m., prior to interment at St Woolos Cemetery."

He died in 1968 so I although I know he was buried on a Thursday (as per the above notice), I'm not sure of the exact date (don't have the date of the newspaper clipping).  I'm assuming it was the following THU 25th but could have possibly been the following week I guess.
- Louisa May Alcott

Whitehead (Cheshire)
Tilston (Cheshire)
Pullin/Pullen (Wales)
Went (Wales)

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 February 13 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murphester
Went up to St. Woolas Cemetery today, and have found your uncles grave, (only about 50yds. from my brothers). Have also been to Newport Central Library and found the article about your uncles accident, and the announcement of his death in the local paper.
If you could pm me with your email address I will send the photos that I have taken, and the transcripts of the articles in the paper.
Regards
Rgee
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 February 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murphester
Went up to St. Woolas Cemetery today, and have found your uncles grave, (only about 50yds. from my brothers). Have also been to Newport Central Library and found the article about your uncles accident, and the announcement of his death in the local paper.
If you could pm me with your email address I will send the photos that I have taken, and the transcripts of the articles in the paper.
Regards
Rgee

Hi Rgee,
Glad you found what Murphester was looking for,perhaps you could let St Woollas know where the grave is as they have know record for him.

Steve
Census Information Crown