Author Topic: Where's Does The Name London Come From 1820-1849!  (Read 3828 times)

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Where's Does The Name London Come From 1820-1849!
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

Please if anyone can help me, on the the name LONDON.

I have the Internment record of my 3xgrandmother Mary London died 1892(72 years) a Roman Catholic, stating born Emly,Co.Tipperary, so i ordered a lookup service of her marriage to my 3xgrandfather William Flanagan before 1849 in Emly, as in the Parish they found three of the children baptised there, that i already knew already,the first in 1849, with a witness Jna London, i think Jna is short term for johanna, so i thought 99% the marriage was registered there, but unfortunately it wasn't to be, i took the risk and got stung and overpriced and charged 49Euros(34 pounds).

The lookup service stated to me, there's no name of London(spelling Variations) registered in the parish, 

Please any suggestions are welcome, on the name London.

Kind Regards
   Gary
McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Does The Name London Come From 1820-1849!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 10:25 GMT (UK) »
If you search the Tithe Applotment Book records on the National Archive (1823-1837) you can see a number on London entries - most in Limerick and Cork, but one in Queen's county (Co. Laois) - see TAB

McLysaghts Irish names opinion is that London is a variant of Landers / de Londras, sometimes called Landry or Londra and essentially a Munster name - fits with Cork, Limerick and Tipperary.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 13 10:30 GMT (UK) »
But one may as well ask where any of the names related to a place of origin come from. They represent that at some time a forebear arrived in a place and was identified or differentiated from locals by his place of origin. This is common throughout most Western civilisations - not all as Icelandic and Russian surnames mostly will not have such root.

In German it is Von before a place name, in Dutch Van or Vanden or Vander according to dialect, in French and Norman French it is De. In English it would have been John of London or William of Exeter or Thomas of Wiltshire and that would later have been shortened to simply London or Exeter or Wiltshire.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple and Shane,

Thanks so much for answering my message with useful information.

Shane, i got to say on the Tithe Applotment Book records, it looks very promising with two names that look very familiar to me are Mary and Jno London from the parish Ballinlough, Limerick.

Thankyou
  Gary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 January 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Ballinlough civil parish has a border with Co. Tipperary, South Riding - and looks to be right beside Emly Civil and RC parish.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Do you know how i go about finding marriage records for the Ballinlough parish in Limerick,even so is there anywhere who do lookups for a fee.

Regards
  Gary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Like  Griffith's the parishes listed on the Tithe's are civil, and you need to work out the Catholic parish from this to check what's available, and where. One way to do this is using the RC and civil parish maps on the Irish Times website - see : County Maps 

Another way is to use Samuel Lewis directory of 1837, which lists details of towns, civil parishes etc. Towards the end of most parish entries is a description of the equivalent RC parish - sometimes describing the RC parish as 'coextant' i.e. the same boundaries and also same name as the civil parish, and sometimes as part of a union with several other civil parishes. The entry for Ballinlough shows 'In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Hospital and Herbertstown..', so records are likely under either of those name, or sometimes a combination of those. Note the civil parish is listed on Lewis as Ballinloghy / Ballinlough

If you click on the parish of Hospital on the RC maps on the IT website and click the 'show placenames in this parish' link, you can see that a total of 8 civil parishes were included in the RC parish at that time - including Hospital and Ballinlough. see : RC parishes East Co. Limerick

Like most RC parishes, films of the historic records are available in the National Library. The film reference is Pos. 2507. Baptism records for the parish go back to 1810, marriages to 1842. (The parish is listed on the NLI Index as Hospital & Herbertstown). Transcripts of records for the parish also seem to be available on RootsIreland (pay-website).

p.s. 'Hospital' is the name of a town in Co. Limerick

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:42 GMT (UK) »
just spotted that there's another section of marriage records back to 1812.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
London >  latin  Londonium 43AD            ???