Author Topic: Where's Does The Name London Come From 1820-1849!  (Read 3827 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Does The Name London Come From 1820-1849!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:01 GMT (UK) »
London >  latin  Londonium 43AD            ???

McLysaghts Irish names opinion is that London is a variant of Landers / de Londras, sometimes called Landry or Londra and essentially a Munster name - fits with Cork, Limerick and Tipperary.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 January 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Jno or Ino are abbreviations for John.

Offline monemore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »

Recently while researching the Emly records at the NLI, I took a note of a Mary London baptised in 1817 to a William (brogue maker) and Johanna Dwyer as the name was unusual.  On the Ifhf site, there are just 2 children with these parents - Mary and Johanna (1820).   There appears to be no record of a marriage for Mary & William Flanagan.  Did your researcher actually check the Emly records at the NLI?

Ballinlough is just a few miles from Emly village and I had thought that it was in the parish of Kilteely.  There are lots of "London" records showing for both Emly and Kilteely and elsewhere.

I have seen Jna used for Johanna.
Blackburn(e) - Limerick/Tipp, Illinois, Victoria
English, Gleeson, Kirby, Conway - Pallasgrean
Knox - Inch St Lawrence
McGrath, Bourke, Ryan - Emly

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 January 13 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi monemore,

Thanks so much with your interest, this is the answer i received about the marriage lookup of my 3xgrandparents William Flanagan and Mary London, so i've copied and paste to you below, there actually saying the marriage isn't at the Emly Parish.

For me to go further with my Flanagan research, i might have to try a marriage lookup in the Ballinlough parish in Limerick, do you suggest that also.

Kind Regards
   Gary

Subject: [Scanned] Tipperary Family History Research M1215
To: "g mcf" <*>
Date: Thursday, 17 January, 2013, 16:12

Dear Gary

We have completed the research on William Flanagan and have attached the records found.   We located the baptism of 3 children to William Flanagan and Mary  London, however we could not find a marriage record for Mary and William.   The  baptism dates of two of the children are 16.7.1854 and 22.11.1854, couples usually baptised their children very soon after birth, but as these are baptism dates and not birth dates  we cannot rule out that these are siblings.   There were no London marriages in the parish of Emly, but there are a number is Limerick, maybe Mary Ann was not originally from Emly

The records have been cross checked with the original parish register which we have on microfilm. 

As it looks likely that William and Mary married in another Dioceses, you could have a look on www.rootsireland.ie , they have baptism and marriage records, they could also have had more children.   There are a number of Genealogy Centres around the Country that may also be able to help.  You could also contact Catriona in Limerick Genealoy,, just in case Mary London was from originally from Limerick.   e-mail - *    or   www.limerickgenealogy.com

If we can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Chris.

Moderator Note: e-mail addresses removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses.

McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 January 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
OOPS SORRY

Gary
McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline Gortnacaha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

Please if anyone can help me, on the the name LONDON.

I have the Internment record of my 3xgrandmother Mary London died 1892(72 years) a Roman Catholic, stating born Emly,Co.Tipperary, so i ordered a lookup service of her marriage to my 3xgrandfather William Flanagan before 1849 in Emly, as in the Parish they found three of the children baptised there, that i already knew already,the first in 1849, with a witness Jna London, i think Jna is short term for johanna, so i thought 99% the marriage was registered there, but unfortunately it wasn't to be, i took the risk and got stung and overpriced and charged 49Euros(34 pounds).

The lookup service stated to me, there's no name of London(spelling Variations) registered in the parish, 

Please any suggestions are welcome, on the name London.

Kind Regards
   Gary
There is a statue of a William Lundon in a village called Kilteely which is closeby. He was an m.p in british house of commons. (But got kicked out for refusing to speak English)..The surname is still about locally.

Offline Gortnacaha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile