Author Topic: What was on the land before my house was built?- pontlottyn  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Mrswang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was on the land before my house was built?- pontlottyn
« on: Sunday 27 January 13 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I live on a new housing estate in pontlottyn called north rising (opposite red ash hill near the Nelson pub) and I am curious to know what the land was before I  was born and bred in pontlottyn so i know there was a legion club on it and w hen that got demolished the housing estate was built I am Interested to know  if there was anything else on the land other than the legion i know there was an iron works somewhere but i am not sure there is spooky goings on in the My house and I am keen to know what was on the site before.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What was on the land before my house was built?- pontlottyn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Looking at old maps back to the beginning of the 20th century, there doesn't appear to have been anything in the North Rising area before the British Legion Club.  Rhymney Iron works can be seen on some maps, but it is quite a bit further north.   Could be (guessing now) some old mine workings stretch under the hill from the collieries to the west?  Could also be old soldiers from the demolished Legion club who haven't quite faded away as they are supposed to?  MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mrswang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea I heard there were some houses on the land before the legion called soddom but having said that I asked somebody whose lived in pontlottyn all their life and they have said that the houses would have been further on up I know there was a ballast tip not far from where I live but am not sure if it spread over as far as my house

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I've looked again at the maps going back to 1878 and, until the legion club appears on a 1960 map, there are definitely no buildings on the land where North Rising now is.  To the north (that is going up hill through the North Rising housing) early maps do show a number of narrow railway lines coming from the colliery higher up the valley and ending on the top of the hill about where the industrial estate now is, presumably the ballast area you've been told about.  MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I have checked an old parish map: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Gelligaer/ParishMap.html

There doesn't appear to be anything on that part in this map either.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London