Author Topic: Caroline SPENCER 1824-died after1881.Hucknall  (Read 2828 times)

Online gracol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caroline SPENCER 1824-died after1881.Hucknall
« on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
My great,great grandmother-can anyone please confirm my reading of the censuses,some entries a little difficult to read.
Living in Hucknall.
1841-living with Severn family.
1851-Ditto,unmarried,27,born Radford.Dau Sophia 7.  (including John Severn 45).
1861-Head,unmarried,37,born ? Green Nottingham.Dau Anne 7 (born 1854 Ann Basford 7b 121).Son Henry 4 (born 1857 Basford 7b 133). John Severn 56 boarder.
1871-Head,unmarried,47,born Hyson Green.Son Henry 14.
1881-Henry Spencer, head,24,with family.Caroline Spencer,mother-in-law ?,widow,57.

Died ? .(A Caroline Spencer died 1902,seems not to be her from her will).
She appears to me to be unmarried,although there are two daughters and one son.
The censuses seem to tie up.The birth place Radford,Hyson Green,and the 1861 entry,which maybe someone can decipher,are inconsistent,although they may all be close together.Are birth places always given accurately on censuses?
I would be very grateful for any ideas on the forgoing,or for any look-ups as to her birth and parents,or the father of her children,or for any further information at all.
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline SPENCER 1824-died after1881.Hucknall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Just a couple of observations.
It is only the 1881 census with her son and dau in law that Caroline or Harry gives Caroline's status as Widow.  This may be to save any embarrassment as to Harry's illegitimacy with his new wife.

I don't know why she is down as mother-in-law though. Just a mistake on the enumerator's part?

Birth places can change from census to census but usually stay within the same county. if you look at a map the place names are usually pretty close together.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Well this census adds to the mystery. I thought the enumerator may have made a mistake again and Thomas may be Mary's father but I can't see a wedding of a Henry Spencer to a Mary Burrows  unless of course she was a Burrows who was married someone else and then married Henry as a widow. Do you have a birth cert for one of their children?

1891 RG12/2675/5/4
54 Watuale(can't read it) Road Hucknall
Henry Spencer   34 coal miner Hucknall
Mary Spencer 34 Newthorpe
Alfred Spencer   13 coal miner Hucknall
Harry Spencer 11 Hucknall
Lewis Spencer 8 Hucknall
Thos Burrows 78 FATHER living on own means Eastwood

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
On familysearch.org a possible baptism for Caroline. No father named so illegitimate also? However the middle name of Thornton may be a clue to the father's last name :)

Caroline Thornton Spencer
baptism - 22 Jul 1824
at Radford Nottingham
mother - Sarah Spencer

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Died ? .(A Caroline Spencer died 1902,seems not to be her from her will).

Although the age is out, I would imagine the Caroline Spencer who was mentioned in probate was here in 1901 :

RG13/3186, Folio 153, Page 27.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 January 13 02:05 GMT (UK) »
On familysearch.org a possible baptism for Caroline. No father named so illegitimate also? However the middle name of Thornton may be a clue to the father's last name :)

Caroline Thornton Spencer
baptism - 22 Jul 1824
at Radford Nottingham
mother - Sarah Spencer

This baptism was transcribed by the Notts FHS (probably more reliable than FamilySearch) as:
22 Jul 1824 - Caroline Sheraton
dau of Sarah SPENCER, Washer Woman of Radford

Not sure if this is a red herring, but since Caroline was in Hucknall in the 1841 census perhaps this is relevant?

Hucknall Torkard marriage
25 Nov 1829 - James SPENCER & Rebecca SEVERN

James Spencer (b. c.1803 in Bilborough, Notts) and Rebecca can be found in Alfreton, Derbyshire on the 1841-61 censuses.

Alexander

Online gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for your replies.
Sophia,her daughter in the 1851 census,her baptism record shows no father.It does seem likely that "mother-in-law" is an enumerators mistake.
The address in the 1891 census is Watnall,as in 1881,as yet I have no certificates for Henry and Mary's children,the 1891 census is interesting.
Radford and Hyson Green seem to be adjoining areas of Nottingham,maybe the 1861 census does read Hyson,but it's a bit of a scrawl!
The Caroline Spencer who died in 1902 is not the same,her will makes a bequest to a Frederick Spencer,who in the 1901 census is her eldest son.
I am a bit puzzled by the 1824 baptism,could Spencer have been wrongly transcribed as Sheraton?
Thornton Spencer is rather different to Sheraton!I suppose the original entry will supply the answer?
Very interesting the marriage between  Spencer and Severn,  showing the connection ,and the subsequent  censuses.I do wonder if John Severn,the  boarder,was the father!!!
Replies much appreciated,will delve further.
Colin

Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Caroline Sheraton are her Christian/given names, Spencer her surname. Alexander was saying that sometimes a single woman would hint at the father by including his surname in the given names of a child.
Baptisms Hucknall Torkard
5-4-1844 Sophia- mother Caroline Spencer
5-2-1854 Ann- mother Caroline Spencer, spinster

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Nottingham St Ann
5-12-1881 William Boucher and Caroline Spencer
Burial Sneinton, St Stephen
21-7-1888 William Boucher 6 Carlton Court age 63
Burial Oct 1901 Nottingham 7b/159 Caroline Boucher aged abt 74
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley