Author Topic: The missing Ellis'  (Read 9757 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The missing Ellis'
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, a possible marriage is in the West Ham registration district 1907 with them possibly living in Rodmersham at the time of the 1911 census ............... search for Edith SHAW born Southborough and you will find one in Rodmersham, Sittingbourne http://www.familysearch.org ;)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi

Thanks for pointing that out! I don't know how I missed that entry. What makes it worse is that its the same address where Edith's sister, Harriette, is living with her family!

Am still looking for when William and Hannah died, but hopefully I will find that out shortly

Lee

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 February 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks again for all the above information. I have now a lot more detail on Edith's life and her children's.

As for the fate of her parents, I will probably have to order both Edward's and Edith's marriage certificates in the hope that they list William as deceased, which will help to narrow down the number of matches in the Death Index

As for Hannah, I have not found out anything more about her fate. She might have remarried or maybe even gone to live with Edward if he returned to Canada. I will keep looking

Regards
Lee

Offline Mellymellymelly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to find out more about the fate of my Ellis ancestors. I've been able to trace the early years of my 3rd Great grandfather, William Ellis, born 1849, up until the 1901 census, upon which he and most of the family disappear

To summarise, William Ellis was born in Deptford in 1849. He moved to Tunbridge Wells where he married his wife, Hannah (aka Susannah) Butler in 1870. She was born in 1851 at Benenden.

They had five known children, the first four being born in Tunbridge Wells; Harriette (1871 my 2nd great grandmother), Florence (1874), Eleanor (1878), and Edward (1882). The fifth child, Edith, was born in 1887 at nearby Southborough

By the time of the 1901 census, Harriette and Eleanor were married and where residing around Tunbridge Wells. Florence had married too, but had moved to Forest Gate, Essex in 1894. William, Hannah, Edward and Edith too had also moved to Forest Gate, probably in 1896 after the death of Hannah's father

By the time of the 1911 census, I have found Harriette, Eleanor and Florence, but not the rest of the family. The civil death index for England and Wales do not reveal any suitable matches for the missing Ellis’, which suggests that they may have emigrated.

I have look through Ancestry's immigration records, but have not bee able to find any suitable matches other than an Edward Ellis who departed for New York in 1903 aged 21 (c.1882)

I'm not sure where I should look next. Can anyone suggest what I can do from this point?

Hi,

I also am looking for a William Ellis from Canning town.  A William Ellis in the Canning town area could be my great grandfather.  Little is known about my Great grand parents.  My grandfather has his father's name listed on his marriage certificate as William Ellis Deceased and that he was a carman.  The wedding was in 1919 so his William would have died somewhere between 1899 my grandfathers birth and 1919 and my grandfather's wedding.  He was Charles Ellis from Canning town.  He was brought up by an aunt Gertrude known as aunt Trudie/Trudy.  The date of of a William 1949 birth could fit as one and the same person.  Did you have any luck finding any information?