Author Topic: Can you help please  (Read 567 times)

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you help please
« on: Monday 28 January 13 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking into a friends family tree. I have the fathers name and the year he was born but on the birth certificate of my friend, who is Canadian and then adopted, it says his dad was born in Wellington County England. Can someone tell me where that is as I have go ogled and cant see.  Thanks M

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
There is no county in England called Wellington but there are districts called Wellington within the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire and Somerset
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 13 00:20 GMT (UK) »
There is no county in England called Wellington but there are districts called Wellington within the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire and Somerset

Hi Thanks for that. I didnt think so but I thought I should check.. Thanks M

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 13 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Now to try and find the man himself

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 13 00:44 GMT (UK) »
If he is likely to still be alive - details cannot be posted here so I can only offer general advice

If you have his year of birth - freebmd is a starting point to find his birth registration which will tell you where he was born.  Transcriptions are roughly up to the late 1940's and some early 1950's.  The full GRO index is available on subscription sites such as Ancestry or FindMyPast and covers from 1837-2006

Birth registrations from late 1911 onwards have the mothers maiden name shown so you can again use freebmd to find his parents marriage

www.freebmd.org.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 January 13 00:47 GMT (UK) »
If he is likely to still be alive - details cannot be posted here so I can only offer general advice

If you have his year of birth - freebmd is a starting point to find his birth registration which will tell you where he was born.  Transcriptions are roughly up to the late 1940's and some early 1950's.  The full GRO index is available on subscription sites such as Ancestry or FindMyPast and covers from 1837-2006

Birth registrations from late 1911 onwards have the mothers maiden name shown so you can again use freebmd to find his parents marriage

www.freebmd.org.uk

Hello My i message you

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 13 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello My i message you

If this should read May I message you - yes - you can send me a pm.  I am logging off in a minute as it is nearly 1am and well past my bedtime but will pick it up tomorrow