Author Topic: Where to from here?  (Read 673 times)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where to from here?
« on: Tuesday 29 January 13 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

my paternal great grandma is turning out to have had a colourful past.
She had a baby girl in 1910 at the age of 15 (and this girl disappeared from trace - I haven't found her, but the rumour is that she went to Australia). Then (or so I had thought) she had a boy, my grandfather in 1916. Both children were born out of wedlock, and the NZ birth printouts give the ever helpful 'NR' in the "Father" details. Both were given her surname (Southee).
I then find yet another birth for my great grandma, which was registered in 1912.
So, off I go, and order the birth printout for this baby. I was very disappointed today, when I was emailed the printout, full of 'NR's and not much else. I worked out the date of birth myself (10 Feb 1912), and the only new information that this printout gave me was that the baby was a male, born in Upper Hutt, and that the informant was the baby's maternal grandmother.

After some to-ing and fro-ing with a woman at the ISBDM Issuance Team, and asking why some printouts were photocopies of handwritten records, whereas others (like the one I got today) were computer printouts with little information... she said this:

We are unable to issue this printout in the handwritten format.  Legislation has been passed since the event was registered that deleted certain information collected at the time of the registration.  This means the record must be updated into the typed format with the deleted information removed.

It is understandable that you may like to know what was deleted, however it is not possible for us to advise you of this.  The effect of the legislation is that certain information must be treated as though it was never registered, so it would be contrary to that intention to distribute the information.

The typed printout contains all of the information from the original record other than that deleted by legislation.

I hope this explains the situation clearly.

Okay, okay.... it's frustrating, even with this explanation. This male born in 1912 has probably passed away like his brother, my grandfather, has... and the mother is long-gone - no people are left to offend or distress with the truth. Why the secrecy? All I am doing is researching my family tree.

Where to from here? How do I go about trying to find out the first name of the baby? The baby would have been adopted out, or perhaps died, because my grandfather had no idea about his mother giving birth to a boy four years earlier. Is it possible to find out if the baby was adopted, and trace them?

Many thanks
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where to from here?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
What about looking up the surname in the birth microfiche, and trying to link that to a later adoption entry?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 12:15 GMT (UK) »

I worked out the date of birth myself (10 Feb 1912), ....

Hi Rachel

Sadly it appears that this babe died shortly after birth.   :'(

NZ Death Index

1912 / 3042 - SOUTHEE - N/R - age at death, 1 day
[Date of death deduced from online index = 11 February 1912 ]

~  Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 18:18 GMT (UK) »
lubok,

Re-reading your OP it would seem that the legislation they are talking about is one of the adoption ones (ie Adoption Act 1955, Adoption Amendment Act 2008, Adult Adoption Information Act 1985 etc).  The Adult Adoption Information Act has made it harder, it seems, to get any further information about a person, because only that person can enquire, and that is quite difficult when they are no longer with us.

Looks like Lucy2 has explained your 1912 relative though.

Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Twiggy and Lu. It's a little sad to know that the baby didn't live longer than a day. I was hoping that he had been adopted out, and that there was hope that I could find him.
Oh well... onwards and upwards.

Thanks again

Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)