Author Topic: Rev. David Stuart (help!)  (Read 7667 times)

Offline wdh1802

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. David Stuart (help!)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 14:35 GMT (UK) »
It was certainly his being Catholic that led to James II being deposed. On the other hand I believe Charles II did not convert until near death.

If David Stuart was connected to the Royal Stuarts, I think the connection would have to go back to possibly a cousin, illegitimate sibling, etc of James I and VI. My understanding is James definitely was not Catholic and in fact was the target of several assassination plots by Catholic sympathizers. I believe Scotland actually started transforming from a Catholic country to a Protestant one during James' lifetime thanks to individuals like John Knox.

Offline Ashdwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I recently became stumped while doing ancestors research and came across this post. I also can't figure out who the parents are for
David Stuart 1687-1749 married to Jane Gibbons 1693-1750. While searching I did come across this post as well as another one on familysearch.org. That lists the following.
David and Jane’s kids
James Stuart 1720-1796
Mary Stuart 1726-1799
John Stuart 1728-1787
Sarah Stuart 1731-1783
Charles Stuart 1733-1771
William Stuart Sr 1728-1798/99

instead of Lucy and Charles it lists David’s parents as
James Stewart 1672-1713
Rebeca Weir 1672-1729
 I haven’t had time to look into it or verify the accuracy of this being his parents but I thought you might find it useful non the less.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
It was certainly his being Catholic that led to James II being deposed. On the other hand I believe Charles II did not convert until near death.

If David Stuart was connected to the Royal Stuarts, I think the connection would have to go back to possibly a cousin, illegitimate sibling, etc of James I and VI. My understanding is James definitely was not Catholic and in fact was the target of several assassination plots by Catholic sympathizers. I believe Scotland actually started transforming from a Catholic country to a Protestant one during James' lifetime thanks to individuals like John Knox.
Wrong monarch ;)

John Knox's famous sermon in St John's Kirk of Perth was delivered in 1559. James VI and I was not born until 1566. The monarch in 1559 was the absent Mary, Queen of Scots. When she returned to Scotland in 1562, Scotland was already mostly Protestant.

Mary Queen of Scots had numerous illegitimate half-siblings, any one of whom could have been your David's father or grandfather. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_V_of_Scotland

One of these was James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, born about 1531, who was Mary's advisor, and was appointed Regent of Scotland after her abdication in 1567. He was a Protestant, and ensured that his half-nephew, King James VI and later I of England, was brought up as a Protestant.

So the transformation of Scotland from Catholic to Protestant was well under way when King James VI was born.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
While searching I did come across this post as well as another one on familysearch.org. That lists the following.
Never trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document (and even then be wary). Especially don't trust the 'community contributed' section of the IGI on FS.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJStewart29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 May 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, aware this is an old thread but through Y-DNA testing on FamilytreeDNA I have discovered I share the male line with a descendant of Rev. David Stuart. The distant cousin of mine has since passed away but I have been in contact with a relative of his. According to FTDNA's estimations, David's father or possibly grandfather is our shared common ancestor. Trying to do some more digging but the name of David's father remains elusive. My line stayed in Scotland and can be currently traced with accuracy to the late 1700s.

Offline wdh1802

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 May 23 22:12 BST (UK) »
My name is Bill Hutchinson. David Stuart was my  5 Greats Grandfather.

To my knowledge no one has ever been able to definitively determine who his parents were. Over  the years there have been numerous people who believed his Mother was Lucy Erskine, however, I have never seen anyone who could point to any record that might support this.

The identity of his Father is if possible even more elusive. Some people have claimed his Father was Charles Stuart, Earl of Moray. Again ,I have never seen anyone provide a link to a record supporting this. In fact, in this case there are actually records that seem to indicate Charles Stuart was not his Father.

Offline RJStewart29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 May 23 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill nice to hear from you (we must be distant cousins)! I’d agree with your line of thinking, there is nothing official to link the family line to the noble Stewarts.

In fact (forgive me if you already know about this) the royal/noble Stewart families have been had their male line DNA markers recorded (there are articles online about this) and I can tell you that my own Y DNA matches with a male line descendant of David Stuart I mentioned in my last post, and neither of us have the Royal/Noble markers.

It is still possible there was a false paternity event somewhere between our common ancestor (estimated a generation or two before David) and the noble Stewarts but this is just as likely as not being related to them at all in the male line. Frankly this DNA test categorically rules out the Earl of Moray as his father.

Of course at this stage most people with Scottish ancestry will be related to them but just not through a a direct male line…

Hopefully some records emerge in the coming years to clear up some questions. Unfortunately a great deal of parish records in Britain do not survive from the time.

Offline DFord46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I realize this is a really old post, but I am also researching Rev. David Stuart.  If anyone has any documents or sources they are willing to share regarding him, please contact me.  I've seen a lot of references that Rev. Stuart was ordained in England, but I have found no documentation.  He's not listed in the Church of England's database.

Thanks!