Author Topic: Lord Nelson Inn (Dock House), or known as Nelson's place in Blyth  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Nelson Inn (Dock House), or known as Nelson's place in Blyth
« Reply #45 on: Monday 07 November 22 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the information on this thread. 
My 3xg grandfather was at 9 Nelson Place on the 1901 census, and died there the same year, age 91.  His name was John Legg(e). 
Small world that I have found out so much about his residence, plus a photo of his street and a precise map of the location!
I too appreciate all the effort gone into finding this information, albeit 9 years after the initial post.

Hello and welcome to Rootschat. I'm glad that after such a long time has passed by, the info is still useful to people researching the area.

If you're interested, make an online search for Rootschat Blyth or Rootschat Cowpen and see what pops up, there is a lot of information and images available. Sadly a number of the Northumberland participants have passed away, so it seems much quieter here these days.

Best wishes

Philip

PS this is another page about Blyth from the time I was growing up during the 1970s. Sadly the creator of the website passed away, so the whole website is now dormant.

https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-83-cowpen-blyth-history-1
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline cuddys girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 07 November 22 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Philip.  That's a really interesting history of Blyth.
I have been collecting local history books on Blyth for quite a few years now, they never fail to fascinate.  Every time I read something either online or in print, I always seem to find something new to me.  Blyth is full of little surprises!

Susan

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 18 November 22 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phillip, I have just been reading this post and have come across your page of when you were growing up in the seventies. I was wondering if I could use a copy of pic with vulcan on it? My interest is one of the last Vulcans has been based for a number of years at Doncaster Sheffield airport which is currently under threat of closure. #Save DSA fb group are using the vulcan as a heritage issue as part of the campaign and would be interested in your photo and comments.
Please delete if not appropriate.
Thanks.
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen