Author Topic: Hannah O'Maley/O'Maley  (Read 4648 times)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah O'Maley/O'Maley
« on: Thursday 31 January 13 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.  I am trying to find the birth parents of Hannah O'Maley/Malley.  Her middle name may have been Amilia but I am not certain.  She was born in Mayo around 1813.  She married a Samuel Cummins possibly in England 1827.  Hannah was transported to Australia in 1847 with 5 children of the marriage.  I do not know when she left Ireland.  Any info on Hannah, her parents or children would be wonderful. thank you 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah O'Maley/O'Maley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 13 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
You have some information re her children on your other thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,633770.msg4813869.html#msg4813869

On that one you say she married in Lambeth.

Civil registration did not begin in Ireland until 1864 so you would need much more detailed information for Hannah. Her religious denomination and townland or at least a parish would be needed. Even then with such an early date, it would be difficult.

Do Australian records give any parental details on death records?

Best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 13 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I see where you get the Amilia name from. It looks as though that is just an interpretation of her surname - as heard. Malley/Malia/Melia and she may have added the 'O' which sounded 'Amilia'.

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heywood...On her convict report it says she is Catholic but only states Mayo County.  According to same record she can neither read or write, so can see confusion over name.  Amilia is not on her record but seems to be attached to her in other places so must have come from somewhere.  Some early Australian certs have info but it is only as good as the informant.  Also if she wished to remarry, she only had to say Samuel was dead and she would have been put down as a widow.  I have come across all that misinformation tangle on another branch of my family. Is the school they were sent to in London similar to an orphanage.  She was tried in 1846 and transported in 1847. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I think the school details you have been given are not an orphanage. You would need to check though.

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 13 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am now, thanks to all convinced that Amilia is the surname I should be looking for.  Some of her records are O'Maley but I see the corruption and difficulty in her having any control over the spelling being unable to read or write.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 13 11:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 January 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
As this enquiry is concerned with Mayo it may be best to keep all other posts on the other thread.
Apologies for digressing. :)

Offline CarrollK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hannah Amilia O’Maley was bringing up her seven children alone, after her husband deserted the family. August 1846 in London she was sentenced to seven years’ transportation for receiving stolen goods. Accompanied by her five youngest children, she arrived in Hobart in 1847. The children were sent to the Queen’s Orphan Schools and Hannah underwent six months’ training in domestic duties on the Anson. She was then assigned to work for private individuals. However for being absent without leave, drunk and assaulting a constable, she served three sentences of hard labour at the Cascades Female Factory, totalling 15 months. In 1850 she obtained a ticket of leave, but in 1852 served another six months’ hard labour at the Cascades for being drunk and using indecent language. She had numerous other convictions over the years.
      In 1853 Hannah married again and gradually the children were released to her care. However, the marriage was not to last and several tragic family deaths occurred. In her sixties Hannah was admitted to the New Town Pauper Establishment; in 1883 she was released to the care of a daughter.  Hannah Amilia O’Maley died 24 July 1884 of Senilis at the Newtown pauper establishment aged 72. 
Life had certainly tested her over the years.

Parents
• Father unknown O’Malley
•  Mother unknown
Sibling
• Margaret O’Malley
Spouse 1 & Children
• Samuel Cummins   1806–?
• 
• Samuel Cummins 1828–?
• Mary Ann CUMMINS 1831–1865
• Emily Cummins 1834–1902
• Hannah, Ann or Anna Cummins 1837–1914