Author Topic: On This Day in FEBRUARY ...  (Read 44462 times)

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in FEBRUARY ...
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 27 February 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
On 27 February 1889 my second cousin 1 x removed, Alice Martha Lydia Rogers, married Joseph John Donoughue at Upper Holloway St John, London.  His occupation was acrobat!  In the 1891 census I have found them using the name Leopold, so think they were involved with the Leopold Brothers acrobatic troupe.  Living with them is Kate Rogers, Alice's sister, an actress.  Just last week I found Kate in the 1911 census (no longer an actress, but a clerk!) with a Joseph William Donoughue in the same household.  I believe this is Alice and Joseph's son, who was aged 1 in 1891.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Friday 28 February 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
15 yrs today my 1st grandson was born :)

Offline Sue T W

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Friday 31 October 14 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Our 'phone has been out of order since 6 Feb, so no internet connection.  We didn't realise it was the 'phone, as we could ring out, we thought it was the router!  The fault has still not been fixed, so we can't receive calls, but for some reason the internet has suddenly become available.  So here are my "On this day" from 6-10 February in two posts probably.  I've not looked at today's yet as I wasn't expecting to be on line.

Regarding where were you on 6 Feb when King George VI died, I must have been in junior school, but I do remember when I got home that my mum was in a really bad mood.  I wondered what had happened and she told me the king had died,  but the reason she was so cross was that it was the first time since my dad had got home from Burma in 1946 that he had arranged to take her out to the theatre and it had been cancelled. She couldn't understand why just because someone - even the king - had died, that  meant that the rest of the population had to be inconvenienced and in a way, I don't blame her.

6 Feb
John Stanton my 6 x g.grandfather was baptised in Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1707/08

Sarah Mutton my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Gedney, Lincolnshire in 1790

Harriet Dye my 2 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Newton Flotman, Norfolk in 1814.  Her father was a butcher as was one of her brothers, whilst her other brothers preferred to be ag.labs.

Thomas Woodward my 3 x g.g.uncle married Jane French in Weaverham, Cheshire in 1798.

John VI le Strange my 16 x g.g.uncle died in 1311.  He was only 29 but had already produced three children.

Elizabeth Negus was the wife of my 1st cousin 5 times removed and she died in Spalding, Lincolnshire in 1885.  By chance I have Elizabeth Negus in my tree.  She is my 7 x g.grandmother and came from Willingham in Cambridgeshire.

Matilda (Maud) d’Aubigny my 22 x g.g.aunt died in 1216 aged 38.  She had married William de Warren but remained childless.  After her death William re-married and had 2 children.  The daughter of this marriage, married Hugh d’Aubigny who was the nephew of Matilda (Maud).  It’s possible Matilda (Maud) was buried at Lewes Priory, as her husband’s 2 x g.grandfather founded the Priory.

Roger Postlethwaite Benson my 2 x g.g.uncle was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Ulverston, Lancs in 1875, 3 days after his death in the local workhouse.  Whether this is where all the inhabitants of the workhouse were buried I don’t know.  His other relatives were all buried in Dalton in Furness.

7 Feb
Anthony Benson my 6 x g.g.grandfather was baptised in Holme Cultram, Cumberland in 1697/98

James Whittaker my husband’s 2 x g.g.uncle died in Romiley, Stockport in 1811

James Postlethwaite my 4 x g.g.uncle was buried at St Mary Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1779

8 Feb
John Christian George Collett (656) married 1893

Billing Chapman my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire in 1775.  I have copied part of the parish record which shows his name.  If anyone thinks it reads anything other than Billing, please let me know.

Hannah Dyke my husband’s 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Hatton, Warwick in 1765

Alice Hobson (nee Pemberton) my g.grandmother died in Manchester in 1908.  She was 65 and died of broncho-pneumonia and cardiac failure.  Administration was given to one of her sons.  Her effects were calculated at £107.13s 9d.  My mother who always thought that she, or her mother (a daughter of Alice Hobson) were badly done to, told me that before Alice Hobson died, she “gave” her butchery shop to her 2nd eldest daughter and her husband (who came from a butchering family) and  that her mother had been left out.  As, her mother’s husband was a draper, it was hardly surprising that he wasn’t going to be given a butchery shop.  My own thoughts are that Alice Hobson sold her business to her son in law.

Mary Woodward (nee Bell) my 4 x g.grandmother died at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, Cheshire on 8  February 1805 and was buried on 10 February 1805.   Oddly, her gravestone – photo attached shows 1808, it also shows that her daughter in law was also buried in the same grave, however, her daughter in law has her own gravestone with her husband! The age on the gravestone, matches the age Mary would have been in 1805!  I can only assume that the gravestone was put up years after her death, probably when the daughter in law died and although they knew her age at the time of her death, they had forgotten which year it was.  Alternatively, the stonemason got confused as he had already carved two 8s he just carried on and carved another one. I imagine that the stonemason thought it was a family grave and the daughter in law was being buried there too, I wonder if it was the same one that made the original gravestone.

Hi, I am new to this site so hope I am doing this ok. George Woodward and Mary Bell were also my 4x gr grandparents. I was at Norley today and was looking at their grave in St. Johns churchyard. I would love to find out which line you are from.  Sue

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Friday 31 October 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Sue - Welcome to Rootschat. 

George Woodward and Mary Bell had 9 children, that I know of.  I am descended from their son John born 1771, baptised 1 June 1771 at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, died 17 Jan 1848 at Crowton and buried on 21 Jan 1848 at Frodsham.  He married Elizabeth Hayes and they had 8 children.  Their 4th child Elisabeth (Betsy) Woodward was my 2 x g.grandmother.  She married Peter Pemberton.  They had 11 children, and number 6, Alice Pemberton, was my g.grandmother.  She married Seth Hobson.  They had 6 children, number 3, Mary Hannah Hobson was my grandmother.

I hope this helps.

Lizzie