Author Topic: I am stuck and am looking for help re: German ancestory - KUCHEL  (Read 9011 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: I am stuck and am looking for help re: German ancestory - KUCHEL
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 March 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karlu,

I am just checking that you are still picking up your email notifications on this topic, you have 2 new replies.

edit: Email notifications stopped working May2018

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harlu

• I am sorry but my email box is suspended
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
I took a two year break and am now back to looking again.

I am puzzled that you might claim an ancestral link to Johann George Kuchel (1783-1845) because all of George's descendents migrated to Australia in 1838/1845. 

This thread has introduced some falsehoods that ought not mislead their readers.  The family's 1838 migration was aboard the Prince George, and included three of his four sons.  This 1838 migration of the Old Lutherans also included the ships Bengalee, Zebra and Catherina.  Despite what some of the on-line passenger manifests might claim, the oldest son Gottfried and his family did not emigrate until 1845 aboard the Herjeebhoy Rustonjee Patel.  I have found emigration listings for Gottfried in 1838 (Prince George), 1842 (Skjold), and 1845 (Patel), but only this last one is true.

I also feel reference to the  Rhineland, rather than Brandenberg, to be misleading akin to a red herring.  The 1838 migration was under the tutelage of Angas and Pastor Kavel. The book Kavel's People by David Schubert records all the migrants' origins, and you can rest assured that Georg Kuchel and his family originated from Langmiel, Brandenberg.

Don't be deterred, however because the Kuchel family leased 240 acres from a 400-acre Section owned by the Incorporated Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (a mission arm of the Church of England), and their lease stipulated they should plant 4.5 acres of vines.  I thus conclude these grapes were grown according to Brandenberg practices and not Rhineland practices. 

I can assure you that I can trace my family line back to Johann Georg. I have since discovered that yes, the boat they departed on was the Prince George. I also agree that the town Langmeil had me stumped for a long time, but I tend to agree with you that it was most likely Brandenberg and not the Rhineland.

As for the author of Kavels People; well he was my home class teacher in Secondary School. Small world.

Woolhouse (England),  Kuchel (Langmeil, Prussia) Arthur (Cornwall)

Offline vallyxkitten

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 June 22 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hey so this is gonna sound absolutely mad but im one of your distant relatives in Australia  :D its so crazy to think that i can find long distant family