Author Topic: (O) CALLAGHAN of Carrick on Suir and Portlaw Co Waterford.  (Read 2286 times)

Offline susan young

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(O) CALLAGHAN of Carrick on Suir and Portlaw Co Waterford.
« on: Friday 01 February 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I posted on here a long time ago but have now restarted my efforts to tidy up my family tree.

I do have lots of information on the family from when they were in Portlaw but am having great difficulty sorting out birthplaces of persons before the Griffiths Valuation entries for Portlaw (Coolroe).

My lot are the Callaghan Bootmakers who were well documented in Portlaw. However I cannot find the birthplace of John Callaghan born 1845 approx or his wife Ellen nee Colclough born 1867 approx.

BTW There is a listing for a Michael Callaghan, bootmaker in Portlaw ( at a different address) and this may well be Johns Father.  I can't find any other information on him but I'm sure it is his father given the profession and the names of our 'firstborn' were always John and then Michael right down through each generation

But I digress.............. When looking at census returns in England, I came upon a listing for a John Callaghan, born 1839 ish  in Carrick on Suir. He was also a boot/shoe maker and given the close proximity of Portlaw, I am now wondering if this could be the same person.

His entire, immediate, family left Ireland for Derbyshire/Lancashire at the end of the century so it could be him.

Can anyone help?   I would be so grateful for any information on this family.

BTW  There is also a Denis and a Geoffrey Callaghan listed in the Valuation but I haven't managed to tie them in yet.

Thanking you for your attention.

Offline susan young

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (O) CALLAGHAN of Carrick on Suir and Portlaw Co Waterford.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry..That should of course read that John married  Ellen Colclough in 1867.