Author Topic: Ann Sharp, Bradford  (Read 4609 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Sharp, Bradford
« on: Friday 01 February 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My 2x gt grandfather George Hirst (b 1828), who lived at Low Moor, Bradford, married a lady called Ann Sharp (or so I believe).  In most census records her year of birth is given as 1833, and her birth place Keighley.  The only marriage record I can find that fits is one for 9 May 1853 at Bradford St Peter, and Ann's age is given then as 22, which would make her year of birth 1831.  This doesn't overly concern me, as I'm used to discrepancies in the records, but the puzzle for me is that while in the marriage record she gives the name of her father as Thomas, the only census records for someone of that name before her marriage show a Sharp family with father Abraham (who seems to have married more than once) living in Bradford.  There's an Ann there, and of about the right age.  But I have been unable to find any record of an Ann Sharp whose father was Thomas, though I have tried everything I can think of.  Now it is possible that Thomas was a relative of Abraham, say a brother, who died, and that Abraham took Ann in as his own child - that is one plausible scenario.

If anyone has this lady in their tree and knows the answer I would be most grateful!

Chris

PS  There is a criminal record on Ancestry for an Abraham Sharp (1837 I think).  Was this Ann's father, and was she ashamed to give his name when getting married?  Possible I suppose.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Sharp, Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
She may have been illegitimate and made up a fathers name when she married so as to appear "respectable"

She may have been born under another surname and her mother married Sharp and she took his surname
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW.

I think that either one of your suggestions could be right.  And possibly that this is a mystery I won't be able to solve.

Again thanks for your reply,

Christine

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 13 00:59 GMT (UK) »
My 2x gt grandfather George Hirst (b 1828), who lived at Low Moor, Bradford, married a lady called Ann Sharp (or so I believe).   

Hi, it seems you don't know for sure that George's wife was Ann Sharp???  The only way to be certain of course is to buy one of the children's birth cert's.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 15:52 GMT (UK) »
The only marriage record I can find that fits is one for 9 May 1853 at Bradford St Peter

As explained above - if her surname wasn't Sharp then you will never find the right marriage. 

Although you give George's birthyear - you haven't said where he was born - only where he was living

If I have the right 1861 entry - the surname is spelt as Hurst.  An 1853 marriage would fit with the birth of their first child

They were living in North Bierley and  all b North Bierley except Ann but the Reg district was Bradford

George Hurst 34   puddler in iron works
Ann 27 b Keighley
John 7
Elizabeth 5
William   2
Ellen 9 Months
RG 9 Piece 3311 Folio 56 Page 24 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 February 13 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Libby9 and CaroleW for your comments.

I am pretty sure that Ann Sharp was the wife of George Hirst.  It is Ann's parentage that  is the puzzle.

The 'Hurst' family (complete with mis-spelling) mentioned in the census is indeed the right family.  They lived at Low Moor, in the North Bierley district of Bradford, Yorkshire.  Many of the Hirst family were buried at St Mark's Church, Low Moor. 

For anyone with ancestors in that area, I would recommend a look at the South Bradford History Alliance (SBHA) website, which contains many useful records.

C

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 February 13 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I'm not convinced that Ann Sharp dau of Abraham is the right Ann.  Her marriage cert states father's occupation - Labourer, whereas Abraham was a Woolcomber.  A Woolcomber was an apprenticed trade, I therefore doubt a dau of a Woolcomber would descibe her father as a Labourer.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 February 13 02:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for Elizabeth Sharp - father Thomas (Labourer)  12 Oct 1856, Bradford St Peter.

Maybe Ann's sister!!!!

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 February 13 02:53 GMT (UK) »
1841 has............

Abraham Sharp    40
Betty Sharp    45
David Sharp    15
William Sharp    15
Isaac Sharp    4
Ann Sharp    10

1851 .................

Abraham Sharp    52
Julia Sharp    40
Ann Sharp    20
Isaac Sharp    14
Mary Kay    14
Joseph Conmy    22

I have found baptisms for David, William and Isaac but not one for Ann????????

Maybe Ann was a relative's child, perhaps born illegitimately or orphaned.