Author Topic: Tracing Robinson ancestors in Birmingham and Cambridge  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Enrybm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Robinson ancestors in Birmingham and Cambridge
« on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:55 GMT (UK) »
First time on rootschat and 3 aims really
Looking for family of William Robinson born about 1824, married Harriet Pett in 1847 and died in 1851. I know his father was also a William and an Edith Robinson was a witness to his marriage. This all happened in Cambridge. Harriet then married a James Carveley and family moves to Aston area of Birmingham.

William and Harriet son William Thomas was married twice with my grandfather Thomas Arthur (born 1899 Birmingham) coming from 2nd marriage to Alice Jane Arthur. Alice was from Kidderminster (on 1901/1911 census) but cannot find any family for her. Any ideas anyone?..

Last aim was to see if any info on Thomas Arthur brothers Charles (1902) and Joseph (1905)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Robinson ancestors in Birmingham and Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 13 19:54 GMT (UK) »
In 1901, Alice is 27, so this looks a possibility in 1881:

RG11/2899/110/39
32 Pleasant St, Kidderminster

Jane ARTHUR  Head  Single  35  Yarn Winder  b. Rock Parish
Alice ARTHUR  Dau  8  Scholar  b. Rock Parish

Rock comes under Kidderminster registration district, but I can't see a birth reg there for Alice at the moment.  ???

From FamilySearch
Jane ARTHUR (40), daughter of Thomas ARTHUR, married James GREEN (39), son of James GREEN, on 11 July 1887 at St Mary, Kidderminster.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Enrybm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 13 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Manchester
Thanks for help
Jane arthur and rock parish 1881 info I had found but zilch afterwards or before...
She seemed to appear out of nowhere...

Can you elaborate on the Thomas Arthur / James Green info...

Martin

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Can you elaborate on the Thomas Arthur / James Green info...

I found it on FamilySearch https://familysearch.org - the actual cert would give addresses, occupations and witnesses, which may or may not be useful... :/

I'll have another dig, but like you say, she's pretty elusive!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
If you have Alice's marriage cert, does it name her father, or is that part blank?

I can see a Mary Jane ARTHUR, daughter of Thomas (a wheelwright) on the 1851 census, born c1844 in Bewdley, and there's a corresponding birth registration under ARTHER - I wonder whether she used her middle name?

In 1861, Mary Jane AUTHER b. c1844 Rock is a servant in Kidderminster.

Rambler

Offline Enrybm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Rambler
Thanks for input again.
All looks like it makes sense. Notes made and will start hunting again
Alice / William marriage cert I don't have as yet. It was on my list of things to do..
I may chance my arm and phone the brum bmd records and see if I can find out any info..

Last question, any thoughts on the 1824 William?.
He dies early so cannot put him with parents / siblings etc on any census.
I know father was a William and an Edith as marriage witness but where else can I check as nowt on 1841 census that ties up?

Martin

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 February 13 22:15 GMT (UK) »
According to the marriage cert, what are the occupations of William Robinson Jr and Sr?

Offline Enrybm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 13 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Both down as labourers
Martin

Offline Enrybm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 March 13 20:58 GMT (UK) »
If you have Alice's marriage cert, does it name her father, or is that part blank?

I can see a Mary Jane ARTHUR, daughter of Thomas (a wheelwright) on the 1851 census, born c1844 in Bewdley, and there's a corresponding birth registration under ARTHER - I wonder whether she used her middle name?

In 1861, Mary Jane AUTHER b. c1844 Rock is a servant in Kidderminster.

Rambler

Manchester
Marriage cert to william thomas Robinson in June 1898 states Alices father as Samuel Arthurs (deceased) occupation Wesleyan minister!!!

Any further thoughts as cannot link an Alice to a Wesleyan minister Samuel

Martin