Author Topic: McBean/Fraser/McGlashan/MacIntosh Daviot and Dunlichty  (Read 12098 times)

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McBean/Fraser/McGlashan/MacIntosh Daviot and Dunlichty
« on: Sunday 03 February 13 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I am a decedent of the McBean line from Daviot/Dunlichty.  I am going to Scotland for the summer and would like to see if I can find some cousins over there...there must be someone who stayed ;)  I would also like to be able to trace the line back another generation or two to Culloden.   It sounds like this board might be able to help me start the path to find someone (Im not very good at this).   Here is my info (or some of it anyways)

my grandmother was
Janet Jennie McBEAN
Birth 14 Jan 1900 in Lambton, Ontario, Canada
Death 30 JUL 1971 in Greenlawn Windsor Ontario canada

her father was
James Arthur McBean
Birth 8September 1838 in Daviot and Dunlichty, Inverness Scotland
Death 13 MAR 1920 in Buried on March 15 1920 at Beachwood Cemetary in Forest Ontario

looks like pretty much all of his siblings came over the big pond, except maybe his oldest brother
William Mcbean
Birth 13 OCT 1836 in Daviot, Invernessshire, Scotland
Death 26 Nov 1918 in Daviot, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

I believe William married
Ann McGillivray
Birth abt 1843 in Daviot G, Invernessshire, Scotland

I think the other siblings names were: Duncan, Janet, Mary

Their parents were:
William McBean
Birth SEP 1800 in Daviot and Dunlichty, Inverness Scotland
Death 26 Dec 1892 in Parkhill, West Williams Twp, Middlesex Co, ON

Mary Fraser
Birth 1815 in Daviot and Dunlichtly, Inverness-shire, Scotland
Death 17 APR 1888 in Beachwood Cemetary Forest Ontario Canada

I think Williams parents were William and Janet (Smith?) but I dont have any info about them
Mary's parents were:

William Fraser (McGlashan)
Birth About 1781 in Dunlichity, Inverness, Scotland
Death About 1849 in Daviot, Inverness, Scotland

Margaret MacIntosh
Birth 1791 in Daviot and Dunlichity, Inverness, Scotland
Death 1857 in Daviot, Inverness, Scotland

And I THINK
William Fraser or McGlashans parents were
William McGlashan and Rebecca McGillevray

Any help/pointers would be great!
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Fraser/McGlashan/MacIntosh Daviot and Dunlichty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Dunlichity Burial Ground, Inverness

Erected in loving memory of William MacBean, Farmer Carnbain, born at Glenbeg, Aberarder, 13th Oct 1836, died at Carnbain 26th Nov 1918. Also his wife Ann MacGillivray, born at Glenbeg, Aberarder 4th  Nov l841, died at Carnbain, Aberarder 18th May 1922. Also their son William died 16th May 1948 aged 72 years and their daughter Catherine died 26th May 1952, aged 77 years. Their younger daughter Mary died 18th March 1974 aged 95 years. Erected by the family.

also

Erected to the memory of William Fraser, late Farmer, Glenbeg, Strathnairn who died on the 6th Oct 1850 aged 75 years. And his wife Margaret MacKintosh who died on the 23rd Jan 1854 aged 72 years. Also of their son William who died on the 14th Aug 1856 aged 35 years.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 13 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it helps but there were McGlashans living near Nairn (Delnies on the Culloden side of Nairn) in the 18th Century. David McGlashan was born there in 1740 and I have been looking at the line of his son James McGlashan; this is my wife's ancestry. James had a brother William born in 1769. Although this doesn't quite tie in with your dates it does establish that there were McGlashans close to Culloden and that William was a family name. I would think it is likely that there would have been related McGlashan families in the area so this may well be relevant to your search. Good luck, Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Fuchsiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 July 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching my McBeans from Daviot.  I am descended from Donald McBean who married Elizabeth Forbes.  Can't find this marriage, but the information is on Elizabeth's death certificate. She was the daughter of James Forbes and Janet Smith.   Donald  was the son of Donald and Ann McBean and was born around 1780 in Daviot.  He died some time between the 1841 and 1851 census.  Their son John born around 1819 married Margaret Smith from Moy, and with their family emigrated to Australia in 1853.  Another son Donald also emigrated here in 1853 with their family.

Any other relatives out there?  I'd be interested to "meet" you.

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 July 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi!  None of those names seem familiar as far as what I have seen on my tree but it has gotten so complicated, who knows.  I am actually staying nearby for the summer and am planning on going to the Clan Chattan gathering in Inverness and then to the Moy games.  I am hoping I can meet someone that might know more about my family.  Where do you live?
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline Fuchsiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 July 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
I live in Sydney, Australia.  Is your surname Harper?  Well so is mine!  But that's my married name of course.

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 July 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
I have Donald McBean, b c1795, who married Mary Fraser, b c1787, d 1861 at Culloden. Their daughter, Elizabeth McBean, b c1813, died 1891 at Tombain, Alvie. She was married to William Mann, b c1813, who died 1898 at Haddington, where his daughter Jane, lived. Does anyone connect to these?

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 July 13 11:25 BST (UK) »
I live in Sydney, Australia.  Is your surname Harper?  Well so is mine!  But that's my married name of course.
Long story but I was adopted when I was a baby and that is where the Harper comes from.  My natural fathers mother was Janet McBean from Daviot/Dunichity, that is why I am trying to trace this line. 

Offline Valcd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 July 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my family tree and we have found a Janet Mc Beane who married Neil McDonald on 16.2 1706 on the Petty Records.

Neil Mcdonald b.1681 in Petty Inverness, married Janet McBeane 16/2/1706 in Petty Inverness.
Found several children from Neil Mcdonald from Petty...John. b.25/7/1713,Marie b.6/12/1715, Donald b.2/3/1718, James b.30/10/1726,Angus b.5/2/1721 and Roderick b.7/10/1729 All with Neil McDonald as father and all from Petty. 

Maybe this Janet McBeane will have been one of your family.