Author Topic: McBean/Fraser/McGlashan/MacIntosh Daviot and Dunlichty  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Fraser/McGlashan/MacIntosh Daviot and Dunlichty
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 01:41 GMT (UK) »
That could be, I have found some ancestors from Petty but Im not that far back yet (and Im not 100% sure I am correct). 

I have John MacIntosh born 1756 in Petty.  His parents were Lachlin MacIntosh and Ann MacBean (a later instance of MacBean)...but I have no info about them or any further back. 
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline robytherob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 February 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
i believe we have a link with janet mc beane and neil mc donald 1681 petty inv ,son roderick, married mary wallace,1729 newtownards  belfast daughter elizabeth mc donald  m. adam doggart

Offline Reddragnz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
I am researching my McBeans from Daviot.  I am descended from Donald McBean who married Elizabeth Forbes.  Can't find this marriage, but the information is on Elizabeth's death certificate. She was the daughter of James Forbes and Janet Smith.   Donald  was the son of Donald and Ann McBean and was born around 1780 in Daviot.  He died some time between the 1841 and 1851 census.  Their son John born around 1819 married Margaret Smith from Moy, and with their family emigrated to Australia in 1853.  Another son Donald also emigrated here in 1853 with their family.

Any other relatives out there?  I'd be interested to "meet" you.

Hi
I am.directly descendant from John McBean and Margaret Smith.  Im also in Sydney

Offline Fuchsiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
Seems we might be related if you are in Sydney.  Can you send me more information please?

Fuchsiagirl

Offline lestree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 November 19 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Harper 7

I am researching this family but on the Fraser side. This is my mother's line. She comes down from Mary Fraser's (McBean) brother Donald Fraser, my great great grandfather. I am currently trying to work out where and how the McGlashan name comes in but it is proving very challenging.

My tree goes            My great grandfather was Duncan Fraser m Anne McEachern
                                   2x Great grandfather was Donald Fraser m Catherine McDonald
                                   3x Great grandfather was William Fraser/McGlashan m Margaret                 
                                     McIntosh
                                   4x Great grandfather was William Fraser/McGlashan m Rebecca McGillevray

I live in Sydney so its hard to trace the paper trail. Think I need a trip to Scotland to spend some time going through the real paper records!!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 November 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
my grandmother was
Janet Jennie McBEAN
Birth 14 Jan 1900 in Lambton, Ontario, Canada
her father was
James Arthur McBean
Birth 8 September 1838 in Daviot and Dunlichty, Inverness Scotland
So Janet/Jennie was born when her father was 61 years old? How sure are you of this?

his oldest brother
William Mcbean
Birth 13 OCT 1836 in Daviot, Invernessshire, Scotland
Death 26 Nov 1918 in Daviot, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
That rings alarm bells for me. Daviot in Aberdeenshire is quite a distance from Daviot in Inverness-shire. I can see in the SP index a death of a William McBean, aged 82, in Daviot and Dunlichity, Inverness-shire, not Daviot, Aberdeenshire. Where did the Aberdeenshire reference come from? Indexed or transcribed by some web site that doesn't know that there are (at least) two different places called Daviot? Never trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document - and even then, be wary.

Mary's parents were:
Margaret MacIntosh
Birth 1791 in Daviot and Dunlichity, Inverness, Scotland
Death 1857 in Daviot, Inverness, Scotland
Get her death certificate from Scotland's People. It should tell you the names of her parents including her mother's maiden surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 November 19 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Harper 7

I am researching this family but on the Fraser side. This is my mother's line. She comes down from Mary Fraser's (McBean) brother Donald Fraser, my great great grandfather. I am currently trying to work out where and how the McGlashan name comes in but it is proving very challenging.

My tree goes            My great grandfather was Duncan Fraser m Anne McEachern
                                   2x Great grandfather was Donald Fraser m Catherine McDonald
                                   3x Great grandfather was William Fraser/McGlashan m Margaret                 
                                     McIntosh
                                   4x Great grandfather was William Fraser/McGlashan m Rebecca McGillevray

I live in Sydney so its hard to trace the paper trail. Think I need a trip to Scotland to spend some time going through the real paper records!!!

Lestree....we have talked on ancestry.  I am not convinced of MacGlashan link.  I think it might be a totally different person but cant figure it out either. 
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 February 24 07:29 GMT (UK) »
I am a decedent of the McBean line from Daviot/Dunlichty.  I am going to Scotland for the summer and would like to see if I can find some cousins over there...there must be someone who stayed ;)  I would also like to be able to trace the line back another generation or two to Culloden.   It sounds like this board might be able to help me start the path to find someone (Im not very good at this).   Here is my info (or some of it anyways)"

I’m after a Donald McBean/Bain who was likely a relation to my 4g grandfather, John Fraser b bet 1792-1796

John FRASER m1 1818 Inverness, Janet McIntosh b abt 1798 INV, d 1839 Liverpool LAN.
John and Janet had 8-9 children:

William - 11 Jun 1819 John Fraser Tailor and his spouse Janet Mcintosh had a child baptized by Mr Donald Martin named William Witnesses: Adam HOGG and Donald MCBAIN.

Elizabeth - 19 Sep 1821 John Fraser Tailor and his spouse Janet McIntosh had a child baptized by the Rev Mr Thomas Fraser named Elizabeth. Witnesses: Donald MCBAIN and Adam HOGG

John - 7 Jan 1824 John Fraser (tailor Green of Minton [Merton/Muirtown/Moortown]) and his spouse Janet McIntosh had a child baptized by Rev Thomas Fraser named John. Witnesses: James FRASER and Donald MCBEAN

Simon - 27 Jul 1826 John Fraser, Taylor Telford Street, and his spouse Janet McIntosh had a child baptized by the Rev Mr Alexander Clark named Simon. Witnesses: John MCKINZIE & John FRASER

John Simon - 3 Mar 1828 John Fraser Tailor 12 Telford Street and his spouse Janet McIntosh had a child baptized by the Rev Alex Clark named John Simon Witnesses: John FRASER and James FRASER

Thomas - 27 Oct 1830 John Fraser Tailor Telford Street and his spouse Janet McIntosh had a child baptized by the Rev A Clark named Thomas Witnesses: James and Alexander FRASER

Janet - 17 Apr 1833 Janet Fraser, John Fraser and Janet McIntosh, Tailor, Telford St, The Rev Thos Fraser. Witnesses: James FRASER and Alex FRASER.

James - 1 Jul 1836 James Fraser, John Fraser and Janet McIntosh, Tailor, Telford St, 1 Jul 1836, registered 21 July 1836 Rev Alex Clark. Witnesses: John MCINTOSH and Mr FRASER

John Simon? (another? not sure - death age could be 13 or 3 yrs in 1842. If it’s 13, then it’s the John Simon b 1828; if it’s 3, then there was another John Simon b abt 1839). John and Janet Fraser relocated to Liverpool from Inverness abt 1838.

In two of his children’s marriages (and only there) John Fraser is assigned the middle name of “Simon”

John m2 in 1841 Liverpool, to Hannah McLansburgh/Landsborough. In that marriage he names his father as “William Fraser, farmer” presumably still in INV and possibly alive at the time.

In the 1841 Liverpool census, John Fraser is with Hannah and four of his children from Janet. John lists his age as 45 (b 1792-1796 as per 1841 rounding).
John and Hannah had three children:

Margaret Grace
Jessie
Samuel Landsborough b 1845 d 1900

John (Simon) Fraser b abt 1796 died in 1847. The profession and address are correct but the informant was another, unknown, John Fraser who declares John to be 59 yrs of age when he was in fact 51.

Samuel Landsborough Fraser is my ancestor. His grand-daughter, my paternal grandmother, was a Fraser.

I share a McBean DNA match from this “McGlashan” line with my paternal uncle as well as Frasers from both sides of Loch Ness (Caiplich & Abriachan appear to be ground zero for a number of matches others are along the other side of the loch, from Drummond to Inverness).

I’d really like to know who this Donald McBean/Bain was. I have to wonder if he is an ancestor of mine and/or perhaps died or moved away after/about 1824.

Adam Hogg was another tailor in Inverness and appears to have married a Jane Slorach.

And, whether proven or not, how did McGlashan morph into Fraser?

Pat

Offline brushbroomstick

• RootsChat Senior
  • John William Vickers & Emma Robson my grandparents
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:43 GMT (UK) »
My 4x gr grandfather was Duncan Vass baptised born c 1766-1768 in Inverness.

I have been trying to connect him to David Vass and his wife Jean Cumming who had a number of children including a Duncan baptised 1745.
I can't remember where I got this info from but see the entry which mentions Mr Mc Bean who must have been the Minister and Provost Fraser.
"David Vase(or Vause)officer and his spouse Jean Cumming had a child baptised by Mr Mc Bean called (Duncan). Duncan Fraser of Achnagairn, Dun. Fraser son to Provost Fraser, Duncan Clark Mercht
Broom(e) - Staffs/Shropshire/ Durham
Burnett - Northumberland & Scottish Borders
Dickson - Scottish Borders/ Northumberland
Henry - Londonderry/ Durham
Morrell - Shropshire
Neale - Norfolk/Northumberland
Powell - Shropshire
Robson - Northumberland/Durham
Stott - Northumberland/Durham
Taylor- Holy Island/Bedlington
Vass- Inverness/ Newcastle/ Durham
Vickers- Cumberland/ Durham