Author Topic: England & Wales, Death Index question  (Read 1078 times)

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
England & Wales, Death Index question
« on: Monday 04 February 13 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi - this is kind of a dumb question - I found a death record in the England & Wales, Death Index.  Is there anything I can do with that info? What exactly is it an index to? Is there something I can get a copy of that may have some information?

Thanks so much, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: England & Wales, Death Index question
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 13 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, Yes, you can apply on line with the GRO - General Registry Office - www.gro.gov.uk but you will require a credit card to pay for the certificate.  A guide on this site will tell you what information you will require to apply for the certificate and if its available to the public

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 13 03:31 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Bonnie.  Boy, that was dumb of me.  I have used GRO for other certificates, but since this was not in the FreeBMD I didn't think I could go thru GRO for these records. This is just the Death Index....

Thanks, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 13 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa ... do it myself all the time however in my case, I can now call it a 'senior's moments'! 
As yet, FreeBMD still have oodles and oodles of records to load onto their site.  Bonnie

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 13 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Bonnie - Well into Senior Moments myself!! And I will order those certificates!

Thanks again, Lisa

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Here's another question along those lines - I know there is an Index of Wills and Administraions that goes from 1858-1966.  I am in the process of trying to get a will from there.  I am wondering if there is anything for after 1966. I found someone who died in 1975 and would like to see a will as I am trying to figure out if she had any children.

Thanks again, Lisa

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

The information is available in person at the Principal Probate Registry at Holborn where a complete set of calendars are available. Some local probate registries may have this information but not a complete set.

I looked at your profile but I don't know where in the world you are so if you can't get to London, then you should post the name, date and place of death of the person you are looking for and hopefully someone here will be able to help with a look-up.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn - I am in the US so you are right, might be a problem to get there!!  So I should post the details of who I am looking for here?  Should I do another post somewhere else?

Thanks so much, Lisa

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

You can start a new topic here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,239.0.html

Explain that you can't visit in person as you're overseas and the look-up is after 1966.

Dawn

(ps might be a good idea to update your profile with a brief location, stops people in future suggesting places to do things that you can't actually get to  ;)  )
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea