Author Topic: Medical Records  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Medical Records
« on: Tuesday 05 February 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
could some one please tell me how I can access a Medical Record from St George Hospital Sydney from 1940 please?
Thanks in advance

Cheers
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.
Home page http://myrobertsons.tribalpages.com

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I think you will have difficulty obtaining any NSW hospital records for any patient where the record itself is not yet 100 years old.  Modified to 110 years old .... see next post!

Here's a link to the NSW State Records Office (the archives holds hospital records) http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/contact-us

Here's a link to the NSW SRO's page re Mental Health records (I suspect similar circumstances for General Hospital records)
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/research-topics/asylum-records/asylum-records#what-records-do-we

"Patient identifying records are closed to public access (CPA) for 110 years. This direction covers records created or maintained by the Department of Health."

What is it from 1940 that you are seeking ... perhaps there's other ways to find the key to help your search?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Further info gleaned online

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-86

"How to obtain access to closed records

To obtain access to records created less than 110 years ago you will need to follow the steps below:

1. Obtain permission from the NSW Health Department

To obtain permission to access patient records held as State archives you will need to contact the NSW Health Department.

Information about how to apply for access and copies of application forms are online at the NSW Health Department.

The NSW Health Department does not distinguish between patients of asylums for the poor and destitute and those of mental health institutions in their application procedures.

You can also contact the Department at:

NSW Health Department
Locked Mail Bag 961
NORTH SYDNEY NSW 2059
Attention: Manager, Corporate Records Services
Phone: (02) xxxx xxxx (JM removed phone no.)

If your application is successful NSW Health Department will notify you in writing."
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi majm,
a man was struck by a car going by a newspaper article on Trove and I suspect its my lost uncle Kenny. I have been searching for Kenny and family since I started. I know he was born in 1916, Robbie checked the later birth disc for me.
His wife was Beryl. No marriage has been found so I suspect that may not have been. They were not registered to vote under that name, it gets more mysterious with that. I have checked with Vet Affairs and no Kenneth anything b 1916 is on their list, the lady was VERY helpful.
As my father used uncle's membership at an RSL club he had to have been in the service. Back then you could only be a member of one RSL and dad used his own at another.
Club has no membership details from the era needed. Family rumour he was known under another surname.
Other uncle's executor told they are all deceased.

Brickwall 100' high with this one.

Cheers
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks majm,
I will poke about with the links.

Thank you
Cheers
Freckle

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 23:50 GMT (UK) »
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx   Search as a guest.

This link may help you, it is the National Library of Australia's index for ADF files.   You may need to search out your Uncle's Dad's file to advance your quest.   It should give you dates and places and hopefully contain images of correspondence from family to Base Records etc during WWI service.    That should give you a likely location for the birth of your uncle in 1916.  It should also give you the status of his Dad when enlisting, and nominating the next of kin and their relationship to the volunteer who enlisted. (friend/father/mother/wife/brother/sister/cousin etc) The next of kin's address/es will also be on those records.     Fingers crossed your Uncle's Dad enlisted !

If we follow those addresses up, perhaps we will find your Uncle was there !

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Trying to think outside the square .... 

Did either your Uncle or his wife die in NSW?  If so, and if they died before 1982, then any member of the general public can access their dcs as NSW BDM restricts access for first 30 years only on dcs.   NSW BDM dc gives you three sources of info....
 :) There's the info provided about the deceased and his/her family (full name/s, parentage including nee names of parents, age, place of birth, marriages/s, children).   This info is provided by an informant, and if a family member then it can sometimes be 'jumbled' as they were giving this info at a time of grief. 
 :) There's the info provided about the cause/s of death.  This info is certified by a medico, or by a court inquest.
 :) There's the info provided by the funeral director as to where the burial/cremation was conducted (and often the denomination of the funeral service can be determined by that information).   

So, while you have not yet found the marriage on any of the online indexes (or CDs etc), perhaps it is possible to put some cracks in that brickwall.  I am assuming that you have determined that you have no first cousins from your Uncle Kenny's marriage.

Other uncle's executor told they are all deceased.

Brickwall 100' high with this one.

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Majm,
I have dads file and no one can find uncle, two of his brothers are there. He would have been the last male in the family at the time of WW2. Dad's isn't online and was difficult to find as he never step foot in Korea, he was lent out to a British Signal Corp and spent his time in Japan.He was too young for WW2. He doesn't turn up on any returned Korean records.
Its only that I had a fair amount of information I received it.
Totally off topic, sorry.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Freckle

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 00:56 GMT (UK) »
 :) I am suggesting that you look for your Dad's (ie your Uncle's) Dad's WW1 file, as your Uncle was born 1916 ie during WW1.   So I am suggesting you look for your paternal Grandfather's WW1 file. presuming he was one of the many who volunteered for overseas service with the Australian Imperial Forces.....

:)  Adding, re your own Dad's War Service files, if he is still living, he can send off and obtain copy of his file.  If he is deceased, you can send off and obtain copy of his file.  There is a cost involved, I cannot remember the amount, but less than $20.   PS, I presume your elusive uncle Kenny was quite a few years older than your Dad.   

Cheers,  JM