Author Topic: Kinglassie Terrace, Bo'ness  (Read 1967 times)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kinglassie Terrace, Bo'ness
« on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know where the above address was exactly - 1905 valuation roll has it as part of Main Street, which makes me think it was a big tenament building - perhaps near West Bog?

Thanks

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kinglassie Terrace, Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 13 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey,

Here are two OS maps of the area, and neither of them shows Kinglassie Terrace, which supports your idea that it was a building on Main Street.

1897 OS map of Bo'ness

1916 OS map of Bo'ness

In the SE corner of the 1916 map you can see Kinglass Road and Kinglass Avenue. Could there be a connection there?

ADP

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi ADP

Thanks for the suggestions - I had seen both maps previously and established that it does not show as a separtate street - hence my thoughts of it being a building in Main Street.

Strange as it may seem I am 100% certain that it was not in the same area as Kinglass Road and Kinglass Avenue - which are both in a more up market residential area in the south east of the town (Kinglass Road has never had houses in it - it just borders Kinglass park).

Regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey and ADP  :)

I found a general google reference to a Janet Ramage Malarky. She comes up just from a general search for "Kinglassie Terrace" bo'ness.

Clicking on the link gives one of those general Ancestry links which includes details of Janet as follows:

Born in Scotland on 14 May 1899 to Patrick Malarky and Margaret Forsyth Ramage. Janet Ramage married Horace Howard Field and had 2 children. She passed away on 20 Feb 1967 in Jackson, Michigan, USA.

Checking the 1901 census transcript brings up this entry:

Peter Malarky 32, dock foreman b. Carriden, Linlithgowshire
Margaret Malarky 30 b. Grangemouth, stirlingshire
Janet Malarky 1 b. boness, Linlithgowshire
Helen Rainage (?Ramage) 12, Sister-in-law b. Bannockburn, stirlingshire

Address: 72 Main St King Cassie Terr, Bo'Ness

Looks good King Cassie  ::) ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Eight heads of households and 42 people living at '72 Main St King Cassie Terr' in 1901.

Monica

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks - it is Kinglassie Terr (not King Cassie) I've been researching this aspect for a long time.

You have done me an enormous favour - I've been looking for a Malarky line for years but never connected to Kinglassie Terr (my ancestor was elsewhere in 1901 - but lived there from 1905 until 1919).  The Peter Malarky you highlighted is one I have been looking for.

Thanks lots

Osprey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
 :o Oh my, that is lucky for sure!

I thought to mention that Peter and Patrick were common variants... www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=peter ...but didn't as I just thought to work on the address issue.

That's made me feel happy for you  ;) You have been working so hard on the Bo'Ness addresses of late!

Monica