Author Topic: 1820's OPR Scotland birth states 2 names for father!?  (Read 6194 times)

Offline cnr479

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1820's OPR Scotland birth states 2 names for father!?
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my Family history on & off for 15 years & have come across curious entries in the Logie Easter Birth Registers;
I have 3 children born in 1826,1833 & 1836.  I have obtained copies of the registers & all 3 state the Father's name as William Ross or Seir / William Ross alias Seir; the Mother's name is given as Isobel Ross on all of them.  A further 3 children born 1823,1821 & 1829 simply have the Father as William Ross.  The occupation of Father, across all six baptisms is Tailor, Balchraggan, so I think I have one Family.   I can find a William Ross being baptised, right time, right place & interestingly, there is a William Ross marrying an Isobel Seir right time, right place! 
Does anyone know why the Father would have 2 surnames?? & any ideas on which I start with??
Many, many thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: 1820's OPR SCOTLAND BIRTH STATES 2 SURNAMES FOR FATHER!?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to Rootschat  :)

I have moved your post to the Ross & Cromarty board.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline cnr479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
SORRY :(

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
If he was still alive in 1855, you should be able to find his death certificate which will give his parents' names. It is possible that he was born to a mother called Seir who subsequently married a Ross, or vice versa. If he was born out of wedlock, the kirk session may have investigated it and their minutes could supply further details. Perhaps he was born to a family of one name and brought up by a family of the other.

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm probably just going to confuse things further ....

I've got ancestors from Gairloch parish in Wester Ross whose surnames appeared as "Campbell or McIver" in OPRs and statutory records in the early/mid 19th century. I thought it was odd that the family concerned didn't seem to know what their surname was! However I later discovered that the Campbells from the Gairloch area apparently used the surname McIver to distinguish themselves from other Campbells in other areas of the country.

Just a thought!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline cnr479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for the help - I have no reason to think he was born out of wedlock, I can find a birth for a William Ross, just not sure why the Seir is noted.  He died before 1841 & the parish records for deaths for the area are no more.

Offline cnr479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Chortlegirl
Yours is the best solution so far - it would make sense, Ross in Ross & Cromerty is every other name.  Just not sure how I can check the theory out.  Many thanks for the help!

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 13 22:04 GMT (UK) »
There was a Loch Seir near Brucefield, by Portmahomack, in Ross and Cromarty. Perhaps your ancestor's family were from there?

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Stone in Logie Easter Burial Ground

60. Erected by Duncan Ross Ballachraggan in memory of his beloved wife Jessie Paris who died 24th August 1898 aged 62 years and her daughter Isabella who died 24th August 1888 aged 24 years. Also the said Duncan Ross who departed this life on the 13th March 1921 at Ballachraggan Kildary in his 93rd year. And his father William Ross Ballachraggan who died 10th May 1868 aged 93 years and his mother Isabella Ross who died 12th August 1889 aged 85 years also their Grand-Daughter Janet Ross who died on the 6th July 1933 at Richmond House Strathpeffer. And his wife’s sister Annie Paris who died 10th April 1892 age 67 years.